Back to work today & scared

cindymbear
on 6/21/11 11:49 pm - Brampton, Canada
After 6 glorious weeks off work today is back to work day and I'm kinda scared.  So I'm sitting here showered and dressed in my work clothes trying to look fat[ter].  I know that's stupid but I kinda don't want anyone to notice and start asking questions.  Everyone at work knows I went for surgery but only 3 people know what for.  Obviously as I keep losing weight there's going to be no hiding it but for now I just don't want to answer questions but - guess I have to face the music sometime.  I am glad that the work pants I ordered 5 months ago (5 inches to small in the waist - I never measured myself before I ordered them, I just guessed and was I waaaaaaay off) finally fit and aren't cutting into me and inside I can't wait until they're too big (hopefully by the end of the summer or sooner would be good!) but at the moment I hope they make me look fat.  I don't regret the surgery at all and would do it again in a heartbeat but I just haven't wrapped my head around being noticed.  Hopefully that will come with further weight loss and time.  So now I'm off, back to the big bad rat race that is working for a living.  Wish me luck and thanks for "listening".

Cindy

Mr. Incredible
on 6/21/11 11:54 pm - Canada
Cindy- nothing to fear!!  Remember it's not unusual for someone to lose a little weight after most surgeries anyway.  When you/if you become comfortable telling people that you had wls- great, if not- you just decided to eat differently (true) and change your life (also true).

Good luck!!  You are going to do great!

B

PATS- September 30th 2009
Surgery- October 14th, 2009
orignall goal-200lbs new goal 185'
August 2011-  182- umm.. now what?
The past is the past and can never be changed, but the future is what ever you want it to be.

ibed
on 6/21/11 11:59 pm
best of luck returning to work.  i go back in about a week and a half - kind of have the same mantality about not wanting to answer questions but i have worked hard to get to where i am (all the lead up to surgery and broth after..yuck)  and i'm sure you have too, be proud of that accomplishment.  congrats on the pants fitting..

debi.,
charm64
on 6/22/11 12:02 am - Cambridge, Canada
 Best of luck today.  You will know when it is right to tell people or you might decide you don't want to.  Have a great day at work!

Char

Char
Dr. Reed
VSG May 24/2011

sueberman
on 6/22/11 12:46 am
Cindy that's exactly why I told nobody at work - an office of around 55.  But with all the weight I've lost everyone knows now, well almost.  I didn't tell anyone cause I don't like the attention and I was afraid of negativity.  I have yet to hear anything negative from one single person and it surprises me frankly.  Now, people stop at my desk to tell me how great I look, how they notice how much better I can walk, how proud they are of what I've done, how I've inspired them to get back on the diet track.  It's pretty neat once you get used to it.
Sue in Courtice
My angel is Ashleighsmom 

Leanne1
on 6/22/11 1:31 am - Newmarket, Canada
Good luck today on your first day back to work!! :D

I remember my first day back to work.. nervous as hell! I even got a speeding ticket, I was sooo nervous, excited, anxious to get to work.. LOL

Monica M.
on 6/22/11 1:51 am - Penetanguishene, Canada

it is a bit difficult to get the positive attention. What someone else said about losing weight after any surgery is correct.

I had one woman tell me yesterday that she noticed something different about me, it must be my hair that's different (what, not the 70lbs? lol)

You'll be fine. Enjoy not looking as fat as you did before, celebrate it, don't hide it. People will notice. You need to decide how you're going to deal with it.

Gabygee
on 6/22/11 1:53 am - Canada
We have about 450 people in my workplace.
About 300 stopped me to tell me how great I looked.
I have become very open about HOW I lost the weight, as some of them were worried I was battling cancer.
(I have a history of lumpectomies).
I stress that this is *NOT* the easy way to lose weight, and if pressed will elaborate on the Foamies and Dumping - but that's rare.
At first i was nervous about sharing, but the feedback has been (with 3 exceptions of skepticism) so marvellous that it has reaffirmed what a good thing I did for myself.

Good luck! And enjoy the positive reinforcement.

Sher1ock
on 6/22/11 3:38 am - Canada
With the disclaimer that I am still pre-op...

I acknowledge that everyone makes choices for their own reasons, and not disclosing surgery is a valid choice for some, in the same way that being closeted is a valid choice for some gay or lesbian people, dpending on their own cir****tances.  In my case, everyone knows that I am having RNY (and that I am gay, but that's a different forum, lol).  My boss, my co-workers, my friends, my family, etc.  Not only did I figure it would be hard to hide the fact that I am losing half my mass, but the process has also been a big part of my life for the last few years and it felt very isolating to not share.  I have had nothing but support.  There have been the few people who have expressed concern, and there's always someone who knows somebody who knows somebody who came out of surgery with a foot growing out of their forehead or some other horrible affliction.  After I talk to them about what I know about the risks, the benefits etc. they are reassured that I am not going into this lightly, so to speak.  On the plus side, I have had several people come up to me and ask me about surgery as it is something they have thought about doing, but never had to nerve to explore.  (I usually point them to OH as a great way to passively gather information.)  If even one of those people takes the next step, then that is a totally positive outcome and makes up for any judgment, unspoken or otherwise the ignorant care to heap my way.

My advice would be - acknowledge the courage it has taken to get to this point and see that it pales in comparison to live openly with your choice.

cindymbear
on 6/22/11 4:49 am - Brampton, Canada
Thanks!  Good advice and I will work on that.  I too was directed to OH by a friend who had WLS (I am completely in her debt) and it has been a complete wealth of information and support I couldn't have gotten anywhere else.  If I have the opportunity in the future to direct someone who is struggling with their weight or the descision to have surgery I will direct them here in a heartbeat!

Cindy

Most Active
Recent Topics