My body is acting crazy!

pinkjellybean
on 7/7/11 11:19 am - Canada
VSG on 01/25/12
I don't feel like my eating has been out of control.....I've quit diet coke this week and have increased my water like crazy.....yet I somehow gained 5 pounds in three days?  Is this even possible?  : (

SURGERY at Toronto Western Hospital - VSG JANUARY 25th, 2012!!

5'9 - HW - 390 SW - 368.8  GW - 150

clemaruth
on 7/7/11 11:41 am - Belleville, Canada
I would almost chock it up to water weight.  You have stopped or lowered your caffiene intake and increased you water intake.  Caffiene is a diuritic and causes dehydration if that makes sense.  Just keep up the good work of not drinking diet coke and it will work out.

Megan M.
on 7/7/11 11:41 am - Canada
It's gotta be water.  Maybe your body's reacting to the loss of chemicals in the diet coke.  Check your ankles - does it appear that you're retaining water?
paula-37
on 7/7/11 11:42 am - brantford, Canada
Hi it could be retaining water and if it is aroung that time of the month too.your body is probably trying to  get use too having no diet pop.good for you that you quit drinking diet coke because that can cause weght gain.i want to wish you all the best for a successful weight loss jorueny.have you had surgery yet? i ams sending you hugs and positive vibes .i hope i have helped you in some way.
SINCRELY YOURS YOUR OH FRIEND ALWAYS'
PAULA(paual-37)

pinkjellybean
on 7/7/11 11:54 pm - Canada
VSG on 01/25/12

Yes, my period is due in the next couple of days and I feel like my ankles are a little swollen which probably means I'm retaining water.

Is there anything I can do to drop the water or will it just go away?

SURGERY at Toronto Western Hospital - VSG JANUARY 25th, 2012!!

5'9 - HW - 390 SW - 368.8  GW - 150

sam1am
on 7/8/11 12:05 am
I'm sure it will just go away, but I've always thought that you are suppose to drink even more water??? 

Sandy                                           

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody  else up"                     

Mark Twain                                                       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCatAnimation One      

ericaFG
on 7/8/11 12:31 am - Cambridge, Canada
I gained 4lbs OVERNIGHT last night from my TOM.  It happens.  It will go away - just pound the water today!

btw...my dr. told me the whole "caffeine is a diuretic" thing has been debunked.  I looked it up, here's what I found...

http://www.medicinenet.com/caffeine/page3.htm

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/04/health/nutrition/04real.ht ml

So - I'm keeping my moderate coffee intake intact!
Proud Member of the Cambridge Crew!    
HW293/LW147/CW158   Height 5'9"  Working on Maintenance!
Fleur de lis TT and Brachioplasty - Oct. 19, 2010 Breast reduction and scar revision August 2, 2011

PatXYZ
on 7/8/11 5:44 am
Caffeine increases the glomerular filtration rate of the kidneys, which means that the kidneys are not being as effective as they could be in cleaning the blood due to the increased speed that the liquid is moving through the kidneys. This means the body may need to draw out other fluids in the body toward the kidneys in order to most effectively filter the blood once the normal rate resumes and the caffeine effect has cleared (usually 3-4 hours for an average amount in a drink). Your body will make itself dehydrated in order to preserve the kidney's ability to filter the blood in the absence of intaking adequate amounts of non-caffeinated liquids.

I would think this would be a problem if the only fluids one consumed were caffeinated, but if one is also drinking plenty of non-caffeinated beverages, particularly before and several hours after the caffeinated ones, than this will likely mitigate the body's need to draw fluid from the body itself instead. I would be interested in seeing a study that compares total urinary volume output, frequency, and measures of creatine levels in people consuming only water vs. only caffeinated drinks. But it doesn't surprise me that for people drinking caffeine PLUS non-caffeinated liquids would not be that different from people drinking only non-caffeinated liquids.

Personally, I drink caffeine, usually one tea a day or sometimes an espresso drink and I'm not required or planning to give it up post-op. I don't compensate with an 'extra' glass of water if I have one, I just look to get 2L of non-caffeinated fluids each day regardless of whether I have any caffeinated drinks.
Most Active
Recent Topics