New Member on Optifast

Wlxtn
on 7/13/11 11:04 am - Orillia, Canada
I joined today after being told by a passing friend about this forum. Never knew it was available but glad I've found it.
I started my Optifast today and I am very very sick. This morning I tried the chocolate warmed . It did go down but not long after came back up. I had the vanilla around 4 with lots of ice and again it went down and back up again. I am so scared to try another one.
Is there any suggestions to help me get this stuff in my system? Can I put something in it to cover the flavor and hide the smell?
It's not exactly helping a migraine sufferer either. I won;t give up, not being this close but I sure could use a little help.

Wendy Luxton    
Joanne J.
on 7/13/11 11:13 am - Canada
Hi there welcome to the forum
i to started on optifast today and am doing well sorry u having trouble with it, some people use crystal light and ice to help try that, you going to hear from other opnions as well how they manage. hope it works out for u as u do need to take it before surgery
btw when is your surgery?

Joan x

PatXYZ
on 7/13/11 11:15 am
Do you often vomit after eating? I understand gagging because it's a bit unpleasant but actually vomitting sounds a bit odd to me.
Lots of people add sugar free syrups or crystal light to them, make them with lots of ice, make them with more water than they call for to make them more easily drinkable or make them really thick like pudding and eat with a spoon. If you search 'optifast' you'll find lots of ideas.
DeeCanada
on 7/13/11 11:15 am
look down the list on topics..it is a couple down from yours ....title OPTIFAST SUGGESTIONS...
they helped me..

d
PS welcome to the board..they people here are FANTASTIC>

d

Cyndylw
on 7/13/11 12:08 pm - Ottawa, Canada
 I add approx 300ml of cold decaf coffee to mine, with 5 ice cubes and I love it, it hides the smell and the aftertaste.... I am a little worried that you said that you warmed the chocolate, your not supposed to warm the optifast because it breaks down the nutrients and supplements   
Referal sent August 2009 - Referred to Ottawa - January 2010 - Surgery - July 29th 2011!!!!    
smiley_k
on 7/13/11 12:40 pm
 Hi and welcome to the forum! I'm just finishing my optifast and have in enjoyed the chocolate as is with 500 ml cold water. The vanilla I like to add 500 ml cold water and crush in 3 ice cubes with a variety of flavours: 2 tbps vanilla sugar free syrup with banana extract, 1 tbsp vanilla and 2 tbsp strawberry sugar free syrup. Experiment and see what works best for you. I would double check the package though for instructions. I was under the impression that we shouldn't warm the optifast (perhaps it breaks down the formula?) but I believe the package specifies cold water.

I hope it gets better!

Katie  ♥     

Sharon S.
on 7/13/11 8:32 pm - Burford, Canada
Welcome to the board.  It is very helpful.

I see you are having your surgery in Guelph.  A great hospital, that's where I had mine.

As you didn't know about this board maybe you aren't aware of the support groups, they too are a great place.  Not sure where you live but there are 2 that I know of.  One is in Cambridge every Wednesday night, very informal group but a terrific bunch of people.  There is also one that meets the last Tues of each month in Delhi.  If you are interested let me know and I can give you more details.

Hope things get better for you on Optifast.  I too didn't enjoy it.  The only way I got it down was by mixing is in my magic bullet with cold water.  I added about a little more water than what was called for and gulped it down.  Not a pleasant thing at all.
HW 368    PRE-OP 328    CW 185
My angels are Jennifer C. and JustJenn

Sharon 

Karen W.
on 7/13/11 9:49 pm - Canada
What worked best for me was:
-always make it in the blender with ice (crush the ice a bit first, then add the optifast etc)
-chocolate goes very well with decaf coffee (I made a pot and refrigerated it; the colder the better)
-vanilla goes well with Nestea berry flavour iced tea or a couple of drops of lemon extract

Good luck.  I hope your first experience was a fluke and that the rest goes well for you.  It will be over before you know it and you'll be on the loser's bench!

RNY April 11, 2011       

jdance
on 7/14/11 12:25 am - Canada
HI welcome to the board.
I never took my optifast warm, ewe. Always put in crushed ice.

Maybe there is something in it that your stomach doesn't like, i would check with the clinic about that.

Also if you are in the KW area, there is a support group every Tuesday night at Conestoga Mall in the food court. Let me know if you are interested in attending.

Best of luck.

J

sam1am
on 7/14/11 5:47 am
Hi there and welcome to the Ontario board!

I think I would call the clinic you got them from.  Is it possible that you're allergic to them?  I also thought I heard something about heating them not being a good idea, but I don't remember why.

By the way, many people mix the vanilla and chocolate together as apparently it improves the taste.

I sure hope it gets better for you!

Sandy                                           

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody  else up"                     

Mark Twain                                                       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCatAnimation One      

Most Active
Recent Topics