Sleeping on my Stomach

Wlxtn
on 7/17/11 3:41 am - Orillia, Canada
I am curious. Post Op will I be allowed to sleep on my stomach. My surgery is in 10 days and I forgot to ask the surgeon. When I sleep on my back I feel like I am sufficating and I have always slept on my stomach. Can anyone tell me if they've had the same concern and what was recommended to them?

Also my kids (19, 22, 24) are still very very scared for me. I just don't know what else to tell them. Should I just let it go and hope it's just the fear of surgery complications and dying on the table that has them so against this. They keep telling me that's what they are afraid of. I emailed my son (19) the other day just explaining that I was not well day 3 into Optifast and he emailed me bak stating "Mom I told you I was not in agreement. I do not want a Mother who is sick for the rest of her life because of this. Why can't you just stay the way you are?" I just don't know what to say to them anymore - they know health wise it's they best thing for me. Any suggestions.

Thanks for the support
Wendy Luxton    
Karen M.
on 7/17/11 3:50 am - Mississauga, Canada
Not a stomach sleeper, but I know many people are and continue to do so post-op - AFTER healing of course.  You may want to try sleeping in a recliner or propping up pillows if you're not comfortable sleeping flat on your back.

As for your children - very understandable that they are scared for you.  They don't want to lose their mom and it's a fear of the unknown.  Focus on the positive with them when possible (i.e. don't email 19 year old son complaining of not feeling well on Optifast day 3). 

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Wlxtn
on 7/17/11 2:23 pm - Orillia, Canada
Thanks for the kind words.
Wendy Luxton    
3littlepigs
on 7/17/11 4:50 am

Before surgery I was a belly sleeper.  Right after the surgery I couldn't sleep on my tummy for at least a few weeks.  /When I tried sleeping on my tummy it wasn't comfortable anymore and now tend to sleep more on my side.  Once the weight starts to drop off you will find it more comfortable to sleep in other positions.

The kids are probably used to you being over weight and will find it different when you start dropping the weight.  My kids (mind you they're 4,6,8) love the fact now mom can bike,run, skate with them.  It's really hard for us to get over the fear of surgery ourselves without having to worry about others fears.  Just stay strong and reassure the kids that your doing this to ensure that you will live a longer, healthier and happier life.  They are old enough to know that mom needs the support now.  I'm almost 6 months post-op and love my RNY.  Keep strong and chug those opti shakes back :)
Donna

Wlxtn
on 7/17/11 2:25 pm - Orillia, Canada
You are very right my kids are used to me being overweight. They also see me in a mobility chair everyday just to get around. I know they care and are worried. When it's all over with they will be proud of me, I know they will.
Wendy Luxton    
Sharvanne
on 7/17/11 7:34 am - Canada
I think your kids will be okay... they're just anxious because they know they will be seeing their strong mom being vulerable and needing help. It's a scary realization to know that your parents aren't infalliable. 

You won't want to sleep on your stomach right away. The hospital bed can raise up on the top, so you can sleep propped up if you like. When you get home, get lots of pillows, or roll up extra sheets behind you back so you can prop up. 

I sleep on my side normally, and was able to start doing that again after a week or so. However, now I find I'm sleeping on my back more often, and it's easier to breathe. My wife tells me I don't snore anymore either, and you'll probably notice the same thing too.

Good luck! I really like Dr Jules. He's great.
Highest Weight - 372 (May 2010)
Surgery Weight - 332.6 (March 4, 2011)
Current Weight - 212.9
Goal Weight - 175
Wlxtn
on 7/17/11 2:27 pm - Orillia, Canada
Thank You so much. It's encouraging when you have a success with the same surgeon as me.
Wendy Luxton    
Monica M.
on 7/17/11 7:51 am - Penetanguishene, Canada
i'm going to ignore the stomach sleeping part. you'll do that when its ready for you to do that.

Your kids. You need to focus on the positives with them, like Karen said. Do not complain to them about not feeling well. Tell them the positives you know you're going to experience. Find someone else to ***** about opticrap with.

Tell them the weight you've lost on optifast, and how much you're looking forward to feeling healthier every day that passes.

It's scary for them You've likely been overweight a good portion of their lives, and they may not understand all the reasons that you want to do this. If they're a normal weight, they might not know the pain of not being able to fit into a seatat the show. If they're overweight themselves, they may be in denial about this surgery being the right thing for you.

good luck.

Wlxtn
on 7/17/11 2:31 pm - Orillia, Canada
Thank You for your kind words. I do want to say though that I share EVERYTHING with my kids - good and bad. They ask I tell. I believe for my relationship with my children we are closer because we share the good and bad. Besides my kids I have no one to vent to. I have no other family and don't want to share with friends.

BUT I do understand where you are coming from and I thank you for your honesty.
Wendy Luxton    
Monica M.
on 7/18/11 5:39 am - Penetanguishene, Canada
I am not suggesting that you be dishonest with them. It's just that your kids (even if they are adults) look to you for reassurance, and you should give them that. So, when you're sick on Optifast, you say "yeah, it makes me feel like crap, but i'm losing weight already!". Always follow a negative with a positive.

Most Active
Recent Topics