Q for the Veterans: Do you think I would be up to attending a wedding in the Bahamas 4 wks...

bogie
on 7/21/11 10:32 am - Canada
We have been invited to our nieces wedding in the bahamas Oct 1st and my surgery is August 29th. As well as RNY they will be romoving a gastric band, removing my gallbladder (hopefully) and possibly repairing my hiatus hernia. I am pretty healthy other than being obese. For those of you who have already had surgery do you think I will be up to traveling and attending a wedding? i know everyone is different but I was just wondering how some of you were feeling 4 weeks out. I know I will be on puree at that time but I can deal with that.
bogie    
HW 305.5  Optifast 290 SW  276.5  CW 249 GW 148  My angels are Connie and Leanne

(deactivated member)
on 7/21/11 10:40 am - Canada
 personally IF all that is done i would say no.  thats an aweful lot of work being done.  too much could potentially go wrong the close after surgery and do you really wanna be in the bahamas a far distance away from your surgeon should (god forbid) something bad happen?

i know 1 month out i was not up for much more then light walking and napping.  let alone travelling to a different country in that heat...

your decision but if it was me id be cautious

thats my 0.2
bogie
on 7/21/11 11:59 am - Canada
thanks Myke: I guess I will have to wait and see.
bogie    
HW 305.5  Optifast 290 SW  276.5  CW 249 GW 148  My angels are Connie and Leanne

Diminishing Dawn
on 7/21/11 10:42 am - Windsor, Canada
Unfortunately there is no clear cut answer to thus question. I would have definitely been good enough to go but on he otherhand I have two friends that would not have as it took them the full six weeks to recover and feel fairly normal.

You are also having a few other procedures at the same time which can also complicate matters.

I am inclined to say yes but can you arrange some kind if insurance just in case you are the exception together rule of fast healing in case you have to cancel?

Dawn

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

bogie
on 7/21/11 11:57 am - Canada
Thanks Dawn, ya I would definitely take out cancellation insurance. I had a hysterectomy 2 yrs ago and the surgeon was amazed at how well I did postop and let me go home a day early. I am hoping this experience will be the same. I am also doing everything I can to be as healthy as possible going into surgery. I guess I will play it by ear and see how I feel.
bogie    

joanne_1970
on 7/21/11 12:09 pm - Harriston, Canada
Hi I'm not a veteran but I asked at the Guelph clinic since my surgery will most likely be in Sept and I had a trip to Vancouver scheduled for first week of Nov.  I was told I would have to cancel the trip as they don't want you traveling for 3 months.
Each clinic might be different however.

Joanne

sam1am
on 7/21/11 10:53 pm
Everyone is different, but I was fine and went back to work exactly 7 days after my surgery.  No problem at all.

Sandy                                           

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody  else up"                     

Mark Twain                                                       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCatAnimation One      

Most Active
Recent Topics