Do you wish you could have had a VSG?

Linda S.
on 8/4/11 12:36 pm - Canada
Just wondering if you had the choice, would you have had the VSG instead of RNY and why?
Thanks, Linda
1) Referral - June 26/10                           4) 2nd. meeting with same - Feb.2/11
2) Orientation - Dec.9/10
3) Met with S.W. Nurse, Diet. - Dec.14/10

Linda C.
on 8/4/11 1:37 pm
I actually had a choice - because I was taking an anti-inflamatory on a daily basis.  I chose to stop taking the anti-inflamatory and go with the RNY.  I wanted the malabsorption, plus food moving more quickly through my system.  Although the malabsorption effect tends to fade out after about 18 months, I wanted to capitalize on it for that length of time.  Now, I will never be able to take any NSAIDs after the surgery, but there are some alternatives that can be used.

Linda C.
_______________ My  is jennifer_rpn______________________________
Includes 72 lbs lost prior to Optifast;  additional 20 lbs lost on Optifast

ms_dar
on 8/4/11 8:38 pm - Canada
I did choose the VSG because I was very concerned about not being able to take NSAIDS after surgery.  I was warned that my weight loss would not likely be as great and that the malabsorption helps improve long term results as well.  I am very happy with my choice and although I may never make it into "normal" range of weight, I am very happy with my results thus far and still losing slowly.  I would recommend a sleeve for anyone *****quires NSAIDS on a regular basis or who is concerned about the malabsorption for other reasons. 

Karen M.
on 8/4/11 10:16 pm, edited 8/4/11 10:17 pm - Mississauga, Canada
No. Reason being that my metabolism was so screwed up by the time I had surgery, my body needed a malabsorptive procedure to re-set it. Of course, no one can say for sure how they would have done with any other surgery than what they received. Based on my successful results, I believe I made the right decision.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

sam1am
on 8/4/11 11:44 pm
I have a VSG and made it to goal in 10 ten months.  I was a volume eater and felt that the restriction would be enough, and it is.  I couldn't be happier with my choice.  You really have to study your options and see which would be best for you individually.

Good luck!

Sandy                                           

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody  else up"                     

Mark Twain                                                       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCatAnimation One      

OKNEE FE + 3
on 8/6/11 2:40 pm
I had no choice VSG was my only option because of Inflammatory Bowel Disease. . . I would have preferred to have an RNY. . .I guess we want what we can't have. . .its human nature.  I am 2 years out and have lost close to 200 pounds. . .

Oknee's just gotta dance
Weight at the start of Optifast 378 T-1 OR Weight 352
Broke the 300 pound Barrier 13-Dec-2009 291.2lbs 01-APR-11 "onederland"
HGBA1C 5.2  d/c from the care of  my Endocrinolgist 09-JUL-10 "diabetes resolved"
10-MAR-11 Extreme Sleep Apnea (dx 2007) resolved-"b-bye CPAP won't miss ya"

HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT IRON AND/OR http://theironmaiden.ca/                

Most Active