Telling people about surgery

tango123
on 8/12/11 1:33 am
From the start I have been open about my surgery. I don't care what other people think and where I work the rumour mill is rampant! So I chose to be open about it. I haven't screamed it from the roof tops but if people ask I let them know.
Yesterday was my first day back and for the most part everyone seemd very supportive. It is crazy how many people have approached me and are asking questions which I am more than happy to address. Radiogirl works with me so she has been very helpful setting some misconceptions straight for me as well.
On the negative side I did hear through the grapevine that some people don't wish me well for whatever reason. Whether they are jealous or feel it is a waste of government money...I don't care. Of course those people won't be as up front but I would love for them to talk to me to find out the real process before making a cruel judgement!
It's funny how body modification such as nose jobs, breast implants, tummy tucks, don't receive the same negative press. Atleast we do this for health..and a little vanity. :)
One girl yesterday really would like to do this but she is terrified of surgery, and she said well when you're a skinny ***** you better still be our friend! Really....I would hope people know me better than that, seeing as my friends now are of all shapes and sizes, why would that change!
For the most part being open has been very positive and a way for me to educate the ignorant so for those of you who are on the fence just be strong in your choice, it's about us ...not them!
Leanne1
on 8/12/11 1:38 am - Newmarket, Canada
Very well said!! :D
KristieA
on 8/12/11 2:27 am - Orillia, Canada
Well said indeed. Wait until your weight loss is noticable and then they will be really jealous.

Keep up the positive attitude.

"Don't trade what you want the most,
                    for what you want at the moment."

jdance
on 8/12/11 2:33 am - Canada
Well that's just sad that some people actually  hope you don't succeed. I think there's a bit of the green eyed monster coming out there.
and no doubt the people that are heavy now will worry that you won't like them when you are a "Skinny *****", i think they will be more judgemental in your attitude because you will be more confident and that might come across as *****y. But we can't worry about them, you are doing this for you and that's what matters. I hope they give you their support, it'll be much easier.

(deactivated member)
on 8/12/11 3:02 am - Canada
i heard what you are saying some girl just judge me for having this done....saying she never heard of a doctor telling me or anyone to stop eating and it was healthy....she worked in a dieticians off and said to me i heard never of any of this.....i told her to her facts straight before making accusaions on something she knows nothing about......she said this type of surgery hasnt be around long and is wrong and that the doctors tell people not to do this kind of operation and to lose it on my own....wtf is that all about....i told her check into more before making comments on something she knows nothing about.....grrrrr....people just **** me off when they dont know what the hell they are talking......
StevesGal
on 8/12/11 7:47 am - Hamilton, Canada
The most adamant people are usually those who don't know **** about what they're talking about!

Ignore them and enjoy the new you!!

Beth

Former RNY patient revising to Sleeve then DS.
Appts: Dietitian - January 21/19; July 16/19, August 13/19, September 17/19, October 15/19; Social Worker: August 23/19; DS Orientation: March 20/19; Internist: September 30/19; Surgeon: November 13/19 (signed consent).
Surgery Date: February 28/20.

MY RNY DIDN'T FAIL ME - I FAILED IT.

Karen T.
on 8/12/11 9:33 am - Canada
  Well said my friend and because you are my friend I have to tell you a few things I say to myself often on just this subject.  lol 

Your friends either stand by you when you make changes in your life, or they are one of the changes you make.
Lord, grant me the strength to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and forgiveness when I finally snap. Ignorance can be fixed with teaching, Crazy can be hospitalized or medicated, Nothing not even duct tape, or the best brain surgeons can fix STUPID

And this for you Tanja, 

I'm Thankful for the paths of my life has taken, because I wouldn't have seen the sights, breathed the air, smelled the flowers, or met friends like you.  Thank you for your friendship.  xo

linda11665
on 8/12/11 11:15 am - Ottawa, Canada
 Amen Karen......I feel the same.....

I would like for anybody who knows me to tell me I took the easy way out......I have three weeks of optifast frustration to let them know that they wouldn't last a day on this....

Linda

Choose love, power, and acceptance instead of what we default to which is fear, dependence, and intolerance
PatXYZ
on 8/12/11 11:33 am
Well said Tango!!!
tango123
on 8/12/11 11:37 pm
Thanks guys. Everyone has noticed but some people have just ignore me (don't care) all of my friends have been very positive and am grateful.
Thanks Karen for the good advice and yes this path has lead me to great set of NEW and understanding group of friends!
Thanks everyone for being you and posting your inner most experiences.
Most Active
Recent Topics