Just back from a trip to the States

Megan M.
on 8/19/11 11:36 am - Canada
Hubby and I had a little vacation - went to Duluth to meet with friends who were on their last few days of their yearly motorcycle trip.  Had a nice time.  Walked so much and was exhausted by the end of the night, but didn't suffer the usual pains I had pre-surgery.  Had a little difficulty driving - the motion of the vehicle seems to make me feel slightly off, but I have never been a carsick person, so I guess it's the pouch being a grouch.

Went to the grocery store and bought a few things I could eat in the room - instant cream of wheat, baby meat, greek yogurt (yuk - should have brought my own from home.)  I was so excited to buy all this sugar-free stuff, but didn't end up with much.  I'm finding that I really don't have a hankering for sweet things much anymore, so why bother buying sweet things.  Eating out was more difficult - managed to find some tomato soup at Applebee's and enjoyed that, also had an onion soup, but mostly lived on protein drinks and carnation breakfast.

Most amazing thing to me happened when we stopped in Grand Marais for lunch on the way home.  I wanted something more than soup - not that I needed more than that, but I just wanted to feel a little more normal.  I ordered a blue cheese chicken burger with cup of clam chowder.  The old me would have wolfed that baby down in no time, licked the plate clean, and enjoyed some fries and rings off of every other plate.  The new me had about 1/4 cup of the soup broth, and a piece of the chicken only, about the size of a toonie, that I chewed the heck out of before swallowing (I'm on pureed now).  In the end, I had a bundle of clam stuff and bacon in the bottom of the soup cup, plus 9/10ths of my chicken sandwich left on the plate (which my husband ate!)

I find it really hard to wrap my head around this stuff.  It feels weird, it feels foreign, it doesn't feel like me - it's hard to come to terms with the fact that "me" is different now.  My eyes are saying "you know you want it" but my brain knows better.  I was a little upset when we went out to dinner and I wasn't able to enjoy what the others were having - it wasn't the food I was missing, it was the sharing of the experience.  The "try this, it's really good" sort of thing.  That made me kind of sad - I wasn't missing the food, I was missing the feelings that came from the sharing of the food.  Weird, huh!  It's going to take longer to establish a new "me" with whom I am totally comfortable.  But other than those few struggles, it was a good little holiday.

Had RNY surgery July 22/11, St. Joe's Hamilton, with the awesome Dr. Scott Gmora.  Had abdominoplasty August 2/13, Scarborough, with equally awesome Dr. Michael Kreidstein.

look_out_world
on 8/19/11 12:29 pm - Canada
 Good for you!!! You must feel so proud of yourself!!  
I also am finding somethings really difficult because they're head issues not tummy issues.  I'm not hungry at all, but there are some things i really miss eating.  I'll have to work on getting rid of those thoughts and am thinking of heading for some councelling for help with it.  I want to nip this in the bud really quickly.
I used to be a big sweets eater but now thats the last thing on my mind...thank goodness lol.  Doesn't appeal to me at all.  

Congrats again and good luck  

Lynette1962
on 8/20/11 4:31 am - Whitby, Canada
 When I went for my psych consult (@ TWH in Toronto), she mentioned there was a cbt (cognitive behavioural group) available to address some of the eating issues.  Your hospital might also have them.  Something I will definitely utilize if I am accepted for surgery. 

I have reached my goal weight ..... and LOVE my RNY !!!!!!!!!

Most Active
Recent Topics