I'm home and oh what a journey so far....long post

bogie
on 9/1/11 4:25 am - Canada
First let me thank everyone for your prayers and support on Monday. A special thanks to my angel Connie for keeping you guys in the loop and being so supportive. So less than 48 hrs after surgery I was home and in my own bed. It was heaven...I slept for 19 hrs off and on...mostly on. So I'll start from the beginning. We woke up at 4am to be at St. Jos in Hamilton for 6. For once my husband had no problem getting a parking spot. Then you wait until they call your name to register. then you wait some more for them to call your name to go with the nurse to change into your gorgeous gown and get your IV started. then they let your loved one come in and wait with you. By this time it is about 730 and my surgery is scheduled for 8. At 750 the nurse says they should be coming to get you any time now. Then one by one all the other patients start being wheeled out to the different ORs. then about 830 a nurse comes and says there has been an emergency and my surgery will be delayed and they have no idea how long. Then a little while later I hear a nurse on the phone telling a patient that their surgery will have to be rescheduled due to the emergency. I felt so bad for the person. I knew my delay sucked but to be cancelled would have been worse. I thought it might be you Joe (Magentajoe) since I knew from our meeting at PATTS that you were the same day. So I layed on my gurney (very uncomfortable) for 3 1/2 hrs and actually fell asleep. My husband was asleep in the chair. Finally Dr. Hong came in at 1130 apologized for the delay and said I would be taken in about 30 min. I told him to make sure he had something to eat. He laughed...I didnt want him getting tired and hungry during my operation LOL. So about 12 noon they wheeled me into the OR and everyone was so friendly and nice. I spoke to Dr. HOng and reinforced that I really wanted him to take my gall bladder if at all possible and taking an idea from Nurse Tammy I asked if I could have my band. My next conscious moment I am waking up in recovery.Dr. Hong had gone to see my husband to let him know that everything went really well in fact he said it couldnt have gone better. My throat was sore from being intubated and I was given ice chips which were awesome!!! I could hear the staff joking that I sure got my monies worth out of one general anesthetic since I won the prize of the day having 4 surgeries at the same time. I was thrilled to hear this. Knowing i wouldnt have to have another one in the future. I was in recovery around 3 and in my room by 5. after they got me settle and took my vitals I asked if I could get up and walk. They looked at me like I had 2 heads. I just kept hearing the voices of the veterans `walk as much as possible. The first time was pretty rough. I felt very dizzy, nauseous and weak but everytime after that go easier. That first night I walked 4 times. My pain has been totally manageable. I always compare my pain to natural childbirth (which I did twice) On a scale of 1 to 10 that was an 11. The highest my pain ever got was a 7 and most of the time it was below 5. I passed gas from upstairs very easily right from the beginning but downstairs took a while. I never thought I would celebrate a toot so much in my life LOL. Dr. Hong came in the next day and was really happy with my progress. I was so curious about my band and why it failed. He said there is a sleeve than had become detached and that everything had leaked out. That totally explains things because it was like it wasnt event there. I am still trying to walk when I am up to get things moving. I was discharged a day early yesterday and was in my own bed by 2pm less than 48 hrs surgery. I slept off and on for 19 hrs. I only woke up to use the potty and sip and walk. At times I felt nauseous and took gravol but i havent taken anything for pain since 11 last night. I am going to attempt my first shower soon so I will take pain meds 30 min before that. Well this is very long winded and I am getting tired so I will sign off for now. Thanks so much for all your support...so many answered prayers. I am so glad so be on the other side and now the amazing journey begins.
bogie    
HW 305.5  Optifast 290 SW  276.5  CW 249 GW 148  My angels are Connie and Leanne

Catw
on 9/1/11 4:31 am - Arnprior, Canada
Weclome to the bench!  Glad you are doing well.

Carole1974
on 9/1/11 4:43 am - Welland, Canada
Welcome to the bench I was waiting for you :). Glad to hear all went well enjoy your journey

St Joes Hamilton Ref Sent 01/20/11 Surgery 08/23/11 with Dr.Gmora. My  Tanya T

Monica M.
on 9/1/11 4:50 am - Penetanguishene, Canada
yay you're home!!! now the fun begins.

Megan M.
on 9/1/11 5:05 am - Canada
Sounds like you're doing just fine!  I think St. Joe's Hamilton is awesome.

Had RNY surgery July 22/11, St. Joe's Hamilton, with the awesome Dr. Scott Gmora.  Had abdominoplasty August 2/13, Scarborough, with equally awesome Dr. Michael Kreidstein.

ToNewBeginnings
on 9/1/11 5:06 am
Yes the journey is amazing. Enjoy it!
Nathalie_Can
on 9/1/11 5:06 am
I was wondering where you were, I almost sent the police after you!  ahahahahah

Very happy that everything is all better now and what an amazing journey it will be uh?

Have a great labour day weekend!  Enjoy and celebrate!
Nathalie

~Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you really wanted!~    

Pam B.
on 9/1/11 5:22 am
so glad that you are home and everything went so well!
  Pam
         Referral Sent: February 2011   Surgery Date: November 2, 2011 by the fantabulous Dr. Gmora!!!    
charm64
on 9/1/11 5:26 am - Cambridge, Canada
Welcome home!  Heres to a speedy recovery.

Char

Char
Dr. Reed
VSG May 24/2011

Effie42
on 9/1/11 5:43 am - Brooklin, Canada
Wonderful news!! Hope it is smooth sailing for you xo

Krista
Most Active
Recent Topics