How many calories do you eat in a day

Donnaslifepart2
on 9/20/11 3:51 pm - Canada
My surgical center did not give specific guidelines on how much food to eat other than:

Eat at least 60g of protein, take your multivit and calcium with D, and at least 8 glasses of water daily.

They did give a sample menu which says " This menu may not satisfy nutritional requirements" at the bottom and a list of foods to avoid, eat in moderation, or focus on.

My dilemma is this:

I have been tracking my intake on Sparkpeople.com and I consistently eat about 800-850 calories per day at almost 17 weeks out.  I get my protein in, as well as my water. 

I am loosing weight  VERY SLOWLY right now and I am unsure whether I eat too much or not enough. 

Also, do you have any suggestions about how many carbs per day would be a good target.  I limit myself to 15g per sitting of starchy carbs and have not been tracking nonstarchy veggie carbs.
Allyson A.
on 9/20/11 9:07 pm - Seeleys Bay, Canada
Hi Donna,

My dietician specified that typically we should be taking in between 600 and 800 calories per day.

But personally, sometimes you need to shake things up a bit by adding more calories for a day or two if you are in a stall. This helps to break the stall. I try to stay on or below the 30gr of carbs per day.

Allyson
HW 318  SW 291 

ToNewBeginnings
on 9/20/11 10:43 pm
Hi!  We had the same surgeon/same centre.
For a year all I tracked was what they told (us)- protein and water, nothing else. It worked.  I have lost 114 lbs so far. I always wondered if I was doing o.k. because everyone else was tracking everything and I wondered why I wasn't. Now I'm slowly losing. I think because I'm nearing goal, and I just started tracking like you. Some people do lose slower than others...and depends on how much weight you have to lose also.
Because you are unsure, I would bring printouts of what you are eating to the dietician and ask her if she thinks you are eating enough etc. All the best.
-Yvonne
flyingwoman
on 9/20/11 10:43 pm
From 1 month to 8 months I did 800 cals a day, but once in a while (maybe once a week or every two weeks) I would have a higher caloric day (1000-1200) to kind of proactively assure my body that I wasn't starving. This worked really well for me. At 8 months I upped my calories to 1000/day. I'm not sure if it is the right thing yet or not, but I'm still evaluating.

Starting BMI 69 w comorbidities | 55 of the weight lost above was pre-op.    
charm64
on 9/20/11 11:34 pm - Cambridge, Canada
 I am 4 months out and I am around 800 a day.  Of course protein first and the rest if I can.

Char

Char
Dr. Reed
VSG May 24/2011

Quinns_mommy
on 9/21/11 3:13 am
I'm eating between 700-1100 calories per day. My dietician said that I needed to up my carbs to about 100g per day - once I did this, I started losing much faster. I eat between 70-80g of protein per day and no more than 30g of fat. Remember, your brain needs complex carbohydrates to function properly.

I'm a "slow loser" too - but... if the scale keeps going down, I'll keep doing what I'm doing. :)

Good luck!

My angels are sam1am and Joyce J. :)  
Gabygee
on 9/21/11 5:10 am - Canada
My nutritionist told me that I wasn't intaking enough carbs, which puzzled me.
She mentioned that complex carbohyrdates are brain food.

That was new to me, but whatever.
I have now started ingesting one piece of bread a day.
And I'm losing (now that I'm six months out) about 1 pound a week.
That makes 77 pounds down in 6 months.

My calorie count is between 800-1000.
My fat intake is around 20 g/day.
But my protein is still a struggle - I'm at about 50 g/day.

Donnaslifepart2
on 9/21/11 6:14 am - Canada
Thanks guys.  I guess I am pretty much on track.  It's just that my weight loss  is slowing down and I wasn't sure.  According to "real people" guidelines our intake is way too low and I have been told to up my potassium intake but I can't seem to get anywhere near the 3000mg/day that is the daily recommended intake.

I went through far too much crap with this procedure and the prep for it (as have we all)  to mess it up by not eating right and the guidelines are so vague.

I guess I'll keep doing what I'm doing and try to increase my carbs to 100mg.

You guys are great!
jdance
on 9/22/11 4:57 am - Canada
I averaged about 700 to 800 for the first 4 months
then 800 to 900 the next 6 months
then 900 - 1000 the last 4 months

always always 80 to 90 grams of protein a day at least 40% of my daily intake.
30% fats 30% carbs.

I lost 126lbs in about 12 months. so that averages about 10.5 lbs per month, the last 6 months i was losing about 5-8lbs each month. slow and steady wins the race. It's not a sprint. enjoy it.

I found the more protein the better, and my hair didn't fall out.

Best of luck.

Most Active
Recent Topics