Older Members

tikvah
on 10/9/11 9:35 am - Canada
I am 63 years old and just 6 weeks out. So far the journey has been fairly uneventful however in looking through this website (which I think is excellent) I note that the majority of participants are younger people. I would love to hear from people who are of a similar age to myself.  The challenges we face are perhaps more deeply ingrained for example the psychological impact of food deprivation as well as the loose skin issues.
Anyway if you are older please share your story with us older newcomers.
birdiegirl
on 10/9/11 10:06 am

2.5 years - Maintenance

Hi Tikvah

Congrats on making this decision to change your life....it takes guts at any age- but I think it definitely is  a "last chance saloon" for those of us who are a little older

I am 55 currently - was 52 when I had surgery and super morbidly obese...you can see by my ticker that I have lost 160 pounds....still in the overweight category by 15 pounds...but quite happy with how things have worked for me...I look and feel great

A real plus for being older is we tend to be more patient....and less emotional about the ups and downs post surgery.....and I think we realize what a gift  this surgery is

I lost steadily....no stalls but no big losses either....just a steady progression to health

REALLY take advantage of the first 6 months - don't screw around - watch your carb intake and I would suggest ingesting your protein ( 80 - 100 grams daily) plus a little fruit and veg and that's it for the first 6 months.....it gets more difficult as time passes and our metabolisms aren't the same as the younger ones....but as stated....what we lose in metabolism we gain in insight/patience and perseverance

All the best to you in the months to come....keep your eyes on the prize - and watch how you shrink and gain your health back

Barb

tikvah
on 10/10/11 3:13 am - Canada
Thank you Barb for you post.  It's very insightful and I appreciate your advice.  What you say about the first 6 months for me is really important. I'm only 6 weeks post op and already I am struggling with cravings.  Before the op I had cleared out my food cupboard including the basic items like flour.  I just knew that I couldn't have them and not make cakes etc.   A few  weeks post op I found a box of choc. fingers in the back of the cupboard. About 6 fingers left. I simply had to eat them even though I was on the pureed stage.  Sure i shared each finger with my dog but nevertheless I simply had to eat them.
So what you say about the protein and a little fruit and veg is really important and I will try to follow it.
So once again thank you so much
Tikvah
Linda C.
on 10/9/11 10:52 am
Tikvah:

I'm about 7 weeks out, and turned 59 this summer.  I'm not sure if it is a blessing or a curse, but so far have not found any foods I can't tolerate.  No dumping, and I find I can do more than just sip the liquids - certainly not chug them, but they go down quite well.

For sure, one of the bigger challenges we have ahead will have to do with sagging skin.  At our age, we have lost a lot of the elasticity that the more youthful folks can be thankful for.  I started losing weight about 7 months prior to surgery, so had a great head start as far as concentrating on proteins, and being careful about the carbs.  By the time I had surgery, I was already in the routine of 3 meals, and 3 healthy snacks. 

I have really had to check myself the last week or so... once into soft foods, they like you to try different things, to see how well you can tolerate introducing them back into your diet.  Eat a couple of fruits a day however and you can watch the carb count climb.  I know fruit and vegetables are the good kind of carbs, but in my mind, I see carbs as EVIL!! 

I use the food tracker... myfitnesspal.com, and it really helps to keep me in line.  It would be nice if the centres would tell you what daily totals as far as carbs, fats, etc. you should try to aim for, in addition to the amount of protein you need to get in each day.  I guess I like things a bit more structured. 

I have been heavy all my life... all through school, etc., so I have no idea what it feels like to be a normal weight... but can hardly wait to find out!

Linda C.
Dianadcr
on 10/9/11 11:16 am - Canada
I am still in the pre surgery process and am 63 years old. For the last seven years I was begging my doctor for a referral but wouldn't hear of it. At long last aim on my way. However, don't know if I qualify since I have 70lbs to lose but have diabetes and all other related symptoms. It's good to know others of my age have gone through the process. This week I meet with the internist. What happens there?
tikvah
on 10/10/11 2:44 am - Canada
Hello Diana Good to hear from you and congratulations on being so determined to get your doctor to make that referral.  When you meet with the internist he will just ask you lots of questions about your health. Don't worry about the diabetes, its unlikely that will stand in your way. Lots of  people have this condition. The internist may order other tests based on your answers and the results of the tests you have already had. 
Just be patient. Your turn will come.  As one of the other respondents said older people seem to be more patient about the process.
For me the process was fairly uneventful, Post op. pain was manageable without  pain medication (it was offered but I refused) and the liquid only period (4weeks) was ok. 
My only real problem was the constipation post op. That was horrendous and needed almost half a bottle of milk a magnesium to shift. My fault really. Didn't drink enough water.
On the bright side I am more healthy, have a lot more energy and enjoying looking for new clothes. My old ones are far too big.
If you have any more questions let me know.  Can't promise to have all the answers but I'm sure one of the others will have.
Tikvah
Lorraine M.
on 10/9/11 11:28 am - Canada
Hi,

I appreciate the advice. I am pre-op until Tuesday and then on my road. I am tall 5 ft 11 inches and I am just about 58 years old. I am just looking forward to having more energy, feeling healthy and having less daily pain (arthritus, fibromyalgia, joint wear, degenerative disc disease, oh and just recently gout, thanks Linda for advice). I know the fibro wont go away but anything to stop the onset of family diabetes and an improvement in my quality of life is appreciated. I know my hottie bikini days are long gone and that is ok with me but I would like to go dancing again sometime and not worry about breaking a chair or dying of sweat/exhaustion.

I hope us oldies can stay in closer touch because you are right it is not the same as with the younger ones. no offense guys. Luv u too

mermaidoz
on 10/9/11 1:43 pm, edited 10/9/11 2:10 pm - Canada
I was 62 at time of surgery and self pay.  I had a textbook recovery in that I had no complications at all, and progressed through my post surgery instructions and meal plans as directed.  Found the weight came off very slowly and was discouraged reading how others lost massive amounts in record time, had stalls and then raced off again losing more weight.  Didn't happen for me, I just plodded along slowly..and .at about 10 months the weight slowed down  and then stopped:  I lost about 74 lbs, but I had lost about 100 lbs and regained about 80  in the 3 years prior to going on Optifast (lost 10 lbs in 2 weeks on Optifast) and then surgery helped me lose about 64lbs...

Despite the less than stellar weight loss, I had become healthy and had so much more energy and loved all the small victories that come along the way with weight loss..But .I never reached goal, am still overweight, but I fit in with the crowd despite not being skinny. I blend in, and no longer am the huge woman to be pitied and scorned for lack of willpower and" how could she let herself get that fat?"  Well, I got there by dieting all my life, and with yo-yo diets, you regain more than you lose and wind up being huge and unhealthy. When people keep telling me "you've lost more weight"  I smile, but I haven't, I've even regained about 20 lbs, but it is obvious they remember what I looked like when I was over 300 lbs several years ago and before I started losing/regaining on that very last draconian clinic diet.
Now that I have had WLS my weight has stabilized pretty much although I might go up/down 5 lbs  , and I am a size 16-18, I'm 5'8", and look younger than my age now that I've lost the weight and held on to the loss with 20lbs regain. WLS is just a "restart button "  so make the best of it...and be thankful for what you do manage to lose. Everyone is different, you could well lose more than I in the long run, but it is a fact we all have to be vigilant to maintain our weight loss as the years pass.  Occasionally I have to diet the old fashioned way, to get rid of the 5 lbs when things start to creep up....
Life is good and yes the surgery was worth it even at this age...I look better and i feel better, and sure I have flappy batwings, and a big hanging belly roll which I hold in with shapewear .Thought I was definitely going to have major plastics, now I am more at ease with saggy me, maybe I'll just have my arms done so I won't always have to wear three quarter or long sleeves....I keep telling myself after I lose another 20-30 lbs that's when I will reward myself with brachioplasty ( plastics to fix batwings) .
CanDoItFour
on 10/9/11 9:53 pm - Canada
Hi Tikvah

I will be 8 months post surgery tomorrow, and am 60.  My experience has been very good, and I've lost weight much like the others - fairly staedily with no protracted stalls.  I'm down 151 lbs with another 43 lbs to go to a "healthy" weight and BMI.  My skin is definitely loose in my arms, thighs and belly and I too use shape wear to try to hold myself in and not flap too much.  The comments I get surprisingly focus on how much younger I look rather than the weight loss, but that may simply be beacuse my clothes fit a little better now than the bag style I've worn for years.

I attend the TWH monthly support group where participants seem to come from every age group, and the one benefit I see from being older is I don't seem to resent loosing the presurgery "normal" way of eating as much as many others who seem to mourn this "food freedom" (curse!).  I seem to accept more easily that this weight loss is such a health benefit, and that I have mucked my eating up for sooooo many years already, that living a more restrictive food life now is well worth it.  Hopefully 30 more years of good life!

I am more active than I've been since my early 40's, more comfortable in social situations, and my family is very proud of me and happy for me.  The only thing I find challenging is getting all the supplements in given the timing  needed to space them out, and making sure I drink all the water / liquids. 

Good luck, and Happy Thanksgiving!

Claire
Patti K.
on 10/10/11 12:07 am - Kingston On, Canada
Tikvah....In 2008 I was 56, that was 3 years ago.  I just had my 3rd surgiversary this past May...I was like the turtle...not the hare...slow and steady weight loss.  I have a ton of loose skin...arms, belly, thighs...and I don't have the means for plastic surgery...but at this point..you dress to accomodate...especially if you're out and about.  To me its not a terribly huge deal.  I have dealt with being overweight my whole life, the yo yo thing, so I was so ready for WLS!!  This time I determined not to own a set of scales, and only get weighed at my Dr.'s office, which I have done.  To me...it has come down to choices...and what is best for me...now that I have had this surgery!!  Good luck on your journey.  Patti K.  (p.s. I am 7 lbs below my surgerons goal for me...)

Most Active
Recent Topics