Exercise post-op at 4 months?

tango123
on 11/7/11 8:15 am
So my surgeon told me at 3 weeks I was able to do mild exercise and can carry up to 5lbs. I had my 1 month checkup at 3 months because the TWH staff is sloppy and until I threatened legal action , did they then call me back and "squeezed me in" for 5 mins. My next appt isn't unitl Dec with the nurse and dietician. I am itching to step it up, I do daily long walks but my arms (and saggy butt) are getting jiggly and need to deal with them.
Does anyone know what I am allowed to do at 4 months?
I really want to join my sons kick boxing club but I want to know if there are any exercise restrictions?
Dollface-1981
on 11/7/11 8:44 am - Newmarket, Canada
I am almost 5 months out and I do the treadmill and go to curves everyday :) .. I think at this point its what you feel comfortable with.. but i am not a doctor!!!

Find me on facebook here:  
http://www.facebook.com/DollFace81

PatXYZ
on 11/7/11 8:58 am
I think if you haven't had any complications you're pretty much ok to do whatever you want exercise wise. At this point, it certainly won't impact on the surgery, you'd just want to be sure you won't otherwise hurt yourself by over-doing it. I would think you GP could tell you what is safe to do at your current weight/fitness level.
Jennifer D.
on 11/7/11 9:01 am
I am 10 weeks out and have been given permission to go back to weights. I was told that I should know my body and know when to stop :O. I have a hernia so I need to be careful and for those who don't have one prior to returning to working out it's a good idea to be careful to avoid one.
3turtles
on 11/7/11 3:07 pm - Columbus, OH
At 4 weeks I started going to the gym every day for an hour. I spend 40 minutes on the elliptical and walk on an incline on the treadmill for 20. I'm starting to do some yoga now and I've done a little light weight lifting.

I'm just under 6 weeks out and saw my surgeon last Monday and he told me I could lift anything but "lift with my knees". You can probably do whatever you want.
consultation: 8/29/11 nutritionist: 9/7/11 psych eval: 9/12/11 stress test: 9/20/11 gi scope: 9/21/11 nurse visit: 9/28/11 SURGERY: 9/29/11

Monica M.
on 11/7/11 9:24 pm - Penetanguishene, Canada
at 4 months the physical part of healing is done. You can do what you want to do. For sure try some kickboxing. If it hurts too much, stop.

jthompson593
on 11/7/11 9:27 pm
 Personally for me at 4 months post op I was doing 90 mins of cardio and 10 mins of stregth training. I would do 30 mins of cardio in the morning, 30 min in the afternoon and 30 min after supper. I know it's alot but I love it. Do what you feel comfortable doing. As long as your moving and getting your heart rate up then your good.

tango123
on 11/9/11 7:06 am
Thanks all. I just can't do the 2 hour deal per day at the gym. I have done it in the past and it always becomes monotonous and I always give up. I am hoping to find some fun hobbies!
Most Active
Recent Topics