addiction..... and optifast

nikki_alzona
on 11/11/11 12:09 am - Canada
After going to my first orientation at TWH on August 16 2011, I find myself constantly searching for others who have gong through this journey. Addicted to hearing their stories and concerns and seeing the before and after photos. I feel like when I have a minute to just sit and think I am constantly thinking about the surgery and life after and what a great change this is going to be for me for my family. Not that my life isn't great now i have two healthy and beautiful boys (ages 5 and 2) and a very supportive husband.
However I feel like I am becoming addicted to it all. Has anyone else felt this way?

I have one more question, I am concerned about optifast and being able to function with my job (daycare) and my two children. Having enough energy and patience. any input on how you feel while on optifast? How you functioned on so little? Should I start preparing now in some way?
Karen M.
on 11/11/11 12:16 am - Mississauga, Canada
Hi there,

I think it's very easy for this process to become somewhat of an "obsession", yes.  It is a major, life changing event.  I was very focused pre-op as well, waiting for an appointment, waiting for a date, etc.  I think it's very normal as long as you don't allow your emotions to overcome you.  You learn a great deal of patience through this process, that's for sure.

Not sure about the Optifast, sorry.  People react differently to it.   I'm afraid it's kind of a "wait and see what happens" situation.

Best,
Karen

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Roberts1967
on 11/11/11 12:21 am - Mississauga, Canada
I'm feeling the same you Nikki, I'm addicted before was researching WLS and now it's this
website....the people on here have made me feel so welcome and the comforatable I get the more I want to ask....lol.
I don't work so I don't how you wil function with the optifast...I worked in daycare for 14 yrs so I see
your dilema..
good luck...
Tammy

straberryz
on 11/11/11 12:27 am - Ottawa, Canada
Same boat as you! very addicted in getting more info on the surgery and browsing others photos, my fiance's actually getting a little annoyed sometimes because its all I talk about..lol,  And Im also concerned about my job too...I also have a daycare! lol

I have 2 weeks vaca a yr, and five sick days in my contract, im hoping to not use any in ther next year so I dont loose any income when i take 3 weeks off after surg.

Your not alone! good luck.
Gabygee
on 11/11/11 12:35 am - Canada
Ladies,
you're absolutely right - this becomes another compulsion. But then, when you think about it, that's one of the hallmarks of the food-obsessed ... we are compulsive about the things we eat/drink/consume. That stuff occupies our days in similar ways to the compulsion drug addicts feel - if they're actively pursuing their next hit, they're thinking about it.

Won't it be lovely to be free of any compulsions?
Not sure it's entirely do-able ... after all, it's part of human nature to obsess about good thing, about bad things, about unimportant things, about earthshattering events ...
But the ball and chain around obese peoples' ankles is what stops us from really enjoying life to the fullest extent - and (in my personal opinion) that's really what this is all about.

If you're not healthy, you can't really enjoy life fully. You can't give to others fully. There's always that limitation.

Enjoy this phase. It does pass, after a while. Once your life starts to become normal again, 6 month - a year post-op) there will be hours on end when you don't think about this totally life-changing event. I know, it's amazing, isn't it?

We have much to be grateful for, IMO.

nikki_alzona
on 11/11/11 12:48 am - Canada
That's the part that scares me, I know my next obsession or addiction will be how much weight i loose after surgery!! eek lol it really is on going isn't it! I am glad to hear that I am not the only one who feels addicted or obssessed. thanks for all the input...
Brenda T.
on 11/11/11 1:16 am - Oshawa, Canada
RNY on 05/14/12
I haven't even had my orientation yet and I'm totally addicted. lol Great support here!!

Brenda             Visit my profile for timelines                         My  is Monica M.

cindymbear
on 11/11/11 2:36 am - Brampton, Canada
It is perfectly normal to be "addicted" to this site pre-op.  I was on this site before my surgery constantly.  In this case it's not a bad addiction because everyone should read and learn as much about what they are going to go through.  Now that I'm 6 months out I do still check in here and read a lot of stuff (and still learn stuff) but as my journey goes along I find I'm figuring a lot out on my own too. 
As for the Optifast question:  I didn't find that I had any less energy while I was on it.  I was hungry for the first couple of days but that passes and if you get all your shakes in every day you won't be hungry and you may find you have a little more energy (I did).  Best wishes for your journey!!!!

Cindy

nikki_alzona
on 11/11/11 2:57 am - Canada
thanks so much for reassuring me about the optifast. congrats on your 6months out.
Leslie W.
on 11/11/11 3:10 am - Cobourg, Canada
OMG upto my surgery I was on this site multiple times a day. Could not get enough. Went to support group every week and asked everyone, Now that I am 1 month today! I still come on once a day but dont find my self obsessing as much as before. WLS occupied my life before. Now I think more of healthy eating, what has good protein etc...

Optifast was an energy drainer. I just had a nap before supper when I got home from work and I was good. Made sure I always had water with me. (Spent half my day peeing!) I was lucky and did not have the optitrots. For preparation thats a hard one. You may find your patience a little shorter but just keep in mind the prize at the end.

Good luck in your journey to a better life.
Leslie

Referral: August 2010 Orientation TWH: May 25, 2011  NP: June 8/11, f/u sleep clinic June 7, abd u/s June 14, SW: June 28/11  Nutrition Class: July 5/11, Dietician Aug 09, Psychologist Aug 25 Surgeon Sept 16th Surgery Date: Oct 11/11 HW:287, Opti wt: 260 SW: 242
My Angel is Sheri TK   
Most Active
Recent Topics