I feel like the RNY poster child

tango123
on 11/15/11 9:09 am
I must have recently physically shrunk some more as  I have been getting alot of skinny comments. You know..."where's the other half of you" "the incredible shrinking woman" "skinny *****". My boss went out of her way for the 2nd time since my surgery and told how fantastic I look. ( she herself has been doing Bernstein and looks amazing herself)
Because I chose to tell everyone at work due to the fact I have a 50% very athletic group of colleagues I felt it unfair to lie to them. Plus I suck at lying and they would have figured something was fishy. That being said they don't really respect what I have done, but I don't care.
Now the other half of normal to overweight peeps are all over it, asking question who,what where, how. Maybe I should get kick backs from OHIP lol. I always advise people that in the end you have to make a choice best for you,.
Radiogirl is one of my work bff's and there is another girl who had her sureons appt today, and one other person is in the process and thas just from the people I know. It seems to be everywhere and someone knows a "fried" whos had it done , and that is followed by a list of complications and the funny scruntched up face when they ask..."so are you feeling o..really?"
I think people think this is too good to be true! Well it is! I love my RNY. I am following the rules - minus the odd day when I have forgotten to eat something or take my 2nd multi.

Do you find people are more receptive to you and talking about their weight and how they want to handle it.

StevesGal
on 11/15/11 11:01 am - Hamilton, Canada

Sounds like you are a walking billboard!  I'm like you ... if you ask me, then I'll tell you the truth.  Too hard to remember a lie.  And I don't care if other people don't support/agree with my decision .... it's not their life, it's mine.  I would be more upset if my immediate family didn't support me - but they do.  My 10 yr old DD has even asked what I can eat sometimes.

I have only had 1 person really approach me about it, for a friend of hers.  She's really slender, but her friend is (apparently) quite heavy.  I told her about the books I read and how I got it started.  Haven't heard if he's taken the step yet.

Beth

Former RNY patient revising to Sleeve then DS.
Appts: Dietitian - January 21/19; July 16/19, August 13/19, September 17/19, October 15/19; Social Worker: August 23/19; DS Orientation: March 20/19; Internist: September 30/19; Surgeon: November 13/19 (signed consent).
Surgery Date: February 28/20.

MY RNY DIDN'T FAIL ME - I FAILED IT.

Yass
on 11/15/11 11:04 am
Tango - that's awesome - I'm sure it makes you feel great which is always AWESOME!
torytt
on 11/15/11 2:25 pm
they can call me a skinny ***** anytime!!
Brenda T.
on 11/15/11 10:12 pm - Oshawa, Canada
RNY on 05/14/12
I'm so thrilled you are doing so well that you give others hope.

Brenda             Visit my profile for timelines                         My  is Monica M.

Radiogirl39
on 11/16/11 12:29 am - Canada
I'm so glad you were "out" about it, because I think it would have caused a lot of whispering in the large group we work with.  And it made it easier for me to be open about it.  I am almost too open about stuff that goes on with me, but I have had a lot of people ask me questions and wonder if this is something they should be considering.  I recently looked around on our training day to see how many people in the group were overweight enough that their health was at risk and I came up with 8 out of approx 45 people (though you are no longer on the list).  Maybe you will be the first in a long line of people taking their health into their own hands once and for all.  They are always trying to promote "health and wellness" - may you can get an 8 hr bonus!

Julie

tango123
on 11/16/11 1:09 am

Wouldn't tha be nice...8hrsin my time bank fro getting skinny. We are having a training day at work next week on wellness.One of the things they have asked us to do is a healthy pot luck.
I suggested that along with that if the people could write the ingrediants and nutritional value with it. I never realized the amounts of sugar or carbs (never looked****il now.
I don't dump (at least I don't think so) so I try to stay within my margins.
I too noticemore andmore heavy peoplenoe after surgery as before I didn't. As like someone said in another post , possibly becasue I would rush in and rush out trying not to look at others. My own shame really.
SO Julie, strength in numbers, we are strong women and if people don't agree with our decission then f' em!
I read today that a study has determined that over the phone/internet is as effective as person to person support for weight loss.... so this forum rocks!

Most Active
Recent Topics