Bowel movement post-op?

Maryse Lapointe
on 1/1/12 2:09 am - Cornwall, Canada
Question:
When should we expect a bowel movement post op?
I had my surgery on wed. (4 days ago) and nothing yet.
I think this might be normal but unsure !?

Thanks.

Manda M.
on 1/1/12 2:18 am
I had surgery on a friday and I didn't have a BM till the tuesday
http://pouchgirlrny.blogspot.com  -- My thoughts and experience so far post RNY!!

JJ_
on 1/1/12 2:47 am

Personally, I had my first bm the same day I came home from the hospital.   Then everyday thereafter.  No intervention needed.  My body has always been that way, the plumbing with no issues generally, unless I am on a longer course of codeine. 

Judy
CanDoItFour
on 1/1/12 3:26 am - Canada
I used the liquid stool softeners (Colace) everyday for 2 months, switched to the Colace gel caps then, and didn't really get "regular" every day until 9 months out.  Now I use ALL Bran Buds in my greek yogurt for my fibre.  There isn't much volume produced because you don't eat much.  If you become concerned, contact you clinic because this is a common problem and they are geared up to help with advice. 

Claire
Surgery Feb 11 @ TWH
HW 348
CW173
thenewbre
on 1/1/12 3:39 am
Everyone is very different. Pre Surgery I was pretty regular with my BM's, however post op, I can go days without one, and often I need a stool softner (TMI?). I found that Benefibre really worked well for me in at least allowing me to have a bowel movement, painful or not, and I did try the milk of Magnesia that was prescribed to me by Dr. Glazer and although it worked the thought of having to take it makes me dry heave as I write this.
You know your body best, and if you feel you need to go, I suggest getting something like Milk of Magnesia or Benefitbre from the drug store!

(deactivated member)
on 1/1/12 3:43 am - Canada
I had my first BM when I got home - 2 days after surgery. Everyone's different. I know some who had to wait over a week. Are you in any pain from not going?
Maryse Lapointe
on 1/1/12 3:57 am - Cornwall, Canada
Not really in pain from that. Mainly pain from gaz which is getting easier by the day. I just put some metamucil in my yogourt. I hate the taste of it. I guess it shall come soon...lol. Thanks!

(deactivated member)
on 1/1/12 4:57 am - Canada
I had some issues early out and took Milk of Magnesia. That worked well. We were given a script for it post-op. I'd suggest calling your clinic and see what they recommend if you're still having issues not going. Nothing worse than that feeling of being backed up
Leslie W.
on 1/1/12 5:24 am - Cobourg, Canada
I am al,ost 3 months and constipation is my worst enemy. Took colace gel caps for the first month. If you go much past 5 days consider taking something like lactulose. If you took narcotics then they are constipating too. I went almost 10days without and was not too good (4 pre and 6 post). I still need to use lactulose and suppositories.

Referral: August 2010 Orientation TWH: May 25, 2011  NP: June 8/11, f/u sleep clinic June 7, abd u/s June 14, SW: June 28/11  Nutrition Class: July 5/11, Dietician Aug 09, Psychologist Aug 25 Surgeon Sept 16th Surgery Date: Oct 11/11 HW:287, Opti wt: 260 SW: 242
My Angel is Sheri TK   
Maryse Lapointe
on 1/1/12 5:37 am - Cornwall, Canada
Hubby just ran to the drugstore for me as I'm starting to feel the need to go. He will get me some milk of magnesia...hopefully it will work