Don't pay to have your Vit E tested!!!

stewartjackie
on 1/10/12 5:39 am - Pickering, Canada
Just saw a post whereby someone had paid to have their VIT E tested, if your requisition indicates that you are a bariatric patient, there is no charge!!

trudylam
on 1/10/12 6:38 am - Sudbury, Canada
Jus****ned to clarify this post.  Vitamin D is the test that is no longer covered by OHIP unless the doctor indicates that the test is being run due to a malabsorptive disorder.  If they write that you have had bariatric surgery, some labs will still charge for it because there is a specific place on the requisition that the doctor has to check off to indicate the malabsorptive disorder.  I have included the information from Life Labs below.  There is no lab test for vitamin E.  

Beginning December 1, 2010, the Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP) will only cover the cost of vitamin D testing for patients with the following medical conditions:

• Osteoporosis and Osteopenia
  • Rickets
  • Malabsorption Syndromes
  • Renal Disease
  • Patients on medications that affect vitamin D metabolism

For people without these conditions, the cost of a vitamin D test will no longer be covered by OHIP.

Please note that effective December 1, 2010, if you visit a LifeLabs patient specimen collection centre for a 25-hydroxy vitamin D test and your health care provider has not indicated on your lab requisition that the test should be insured, you will be required to pay LifeLabs' fee for the test. This can be paid by cash, cheque, debit card or credit card.

People should speak to their health care provider to determine whether they require vitamin D testing, and if they would be eligible for an insured vitamin D test.

Every individual’s health care needs are unique, so it is important to discuss your concerns about vitamin D testing and supplementation with your health care provider.

Your health care provider is in the best position to give advice about healthy eating and how to properly supplement your diet to ensure you receive adequate amounts of vitamin D.

The decision to only cover vitamin D testing for certain medical conditions was made after a review of the best available medical evidence by the Ontario Health Technology Advisory Committee. The evidence showed that vitamin D testing of healthy Ontarians is not appropriate or medically necessary.

PatXYZ
on 1/10/12 7:07 am
I think you mean Vitamin D for that, right?

Vitamin E isn't normally checked for RNYers because it is a rare deficiency, so I think it is only checked if you're specifically showing signs of deficiency. If you want it tested otherwise, you have to pay, but many health plans will pay for this testing. I believe it is a serum test for Alpha-tocopherol which is the type of E stored in the body.
mermaidoz
on 1/10/12 7:18 am - Canada
Just checked my doctor's requisition form  still in my walet for OHIP for upcoming bloodwork (trying to find the right day I can go), to be handed in to the blood lab, and the box "insured" was ticked off  (in accordance with the posting in red above mine)..so I am covered for  Vit D testing.....
charm64
on 1/10/12 10:31 pm - Cambridge, Canada
 I had my labs done in November in Cambridge and I was charged $50.00 for Vit D.

Char

Char
Dr. Reed
VSG May 24/2011

Most Active
Recent Topics