Help Please

wants2Bfitagain
on 2/27/12 11:53 pm
Help please... So I had my apt with my doctor this morning. She really didn’t help me very much. And I am not sure if she is aware on how the process works. I was asking for a referral for the by pass surgery. I mentioned that I have to go to Windsor for the assessment which she had no idea about. She kept saying I have to go to Hamilton to meet with surgeon. She then proceeded to tell me that I can do it myself.  She feels that this surgery is not right for me and has sent me to see an internist??? And completing blood work. Which I am fine with that but she said I am to get the name of the Dr in Windsor I want to go and see and she will contact him.   I have no idea how to do this As far as I knew once she completed the referral online I would be sent their first?
Can someone help me? How do I set up an apt with the Windsor Assessment Office Is that not the first step? Before going to Hamilton?   Another thing she said is that OHIP will not perform the surgery on me because my BMI is not 50 or higher.  That I need to have lap band VS bypass as she doesn’t like it Currently my BMI is 39.7 which was weight in first thing this AM with no food in stomach I am sure my BMI would be 40 any other time. I actually didn’t think my BMI was so high (haven’t weighted myself in 3 months)
Maybe I am wrong and I am not suppose to see the Windsor Assesment???   Thanks for the help very frustrated this morning after meeting with my Dr and don’t know what I am suppose to do from here.
ToNewBeginnings
on 2/28/12 12:17 am
To qualify (at least a year ago anyway) you needed a BMI of 40 and over or a BMI of 35 with co-morbidities for OHIP approval. 
I think things have changed a little for the application process since I started so I'm not the best one to ask about that. (At the time my Dr. sent a referral directly to the surgeons office in Hamilton, the closest centre to me). 

Monica M.
on 2/28/12 12:17 am - Penetanguishene, Canada
Your doctor sounds uninformed. You need to be educated so that you can educate her.

She needs to sign up with the Bariatric Registry . Give her that link and she'll need to sign up and do the referral that way. Once you're referred, and its determined that you meet the criteria, your WLS Cente will contact you.

She needs to know that the ACTUAL OHIP requirement is 35 with a comorbidity, or 40 without (a comorbidity is an obesity related illness like high blood pressure or diabetes)

If your family doctor doesnt "get it", and she's referring you to an internist anyway, then your internist can refer you instead. That person may be better informed about the process.

Best of luck, i hope this works out for you.

Dianadcr
on 2/28/12 12:23 am - Canada
My BMI was 36. I was afraid I wouldn't qualify. However, I had (notice the word HAD) diabetes, high blood pressure and cholesterol. Those were the reasons why I qualified. I didn't lose any weight during the whole process until optifast. I was afraid however once you are approved you are good to go. Good luck. I went through Hamilton. It was an awesome experience with them.
  Diana

wants2Bfitagain
on 2/28/12 12:42 am

I called the Dr's office again and told the receptionist about the procedure having to go through the online registry and she said my Dr. will not do anything online. I said she can print the forms out. I don't think she is registered.
I know she won't do it for me and my apt with my internets is not until April.
Then have to wait the 3-6 months just to get to speak with the assessment office.
Just frustrating she won't submit the referral and doesn't know how.

Monica M.
on 2/28/12 12:48 am - Penetanguishene, Canada
that's extremely frustrating.

My doctor was not a fan of the surgey, would not refer me, although i asked numerous times over a number of years. I went behind his back, made an appointment with another doctor within the same practice and got a referral from him.

You could go to a walk in clinic, a doctor or a nurse practitioner there could refer you.

Some doctors are real jerks.

(deactivated member)
on 2/28/12 12:49 am, edited 2/28/12 12:50 am - Bumfuknowhere, Canada
If she doesn't want to do it online then she can call the Registry and have them send her a package of referral forms.  Just supply them with the number and it should be easy for them to just do it.  Unreal how some professionals act.

Refer to this thread from this morning, someone posted the number and the extension so just call the doc's office back with this info.

www.obesityhelp.com/forums/ON/4506682/Need-some-Bariatric-Re gistry-help/

Monica M.
on 2/28/12 12:53 am - Penetanguishene, Canada
i believe that you're using that term "professionals", very loosely.

(deactivated member)
on 2/28/12 12:56 am - Bumfuknowhere, Canada
Actually more sarcastically in this case!
wants2Bfitagain
on 2/28/12 1:12 am

Oh I gave the office all the info they just wont do it. She is not registered with them either.

Can a nurse pract  send the referal in?
I will make an apt with someone I know but she is a nurse prac so I want to make sure she can
Thanks for the help

Most Active
Recent Topics