protein drinks/powders

jenniferhyatt
on 3/16/12 2:38 am - Canada
Thanks Dawn. I was not aware of it. I guess i wont be buying them. Rolys been buying them i will let him know as he shouldnt be drinking it either.

Diminishing Dawn
on 3/16/12 2:47 am - Windsor, Canada
It's not that they are terrible Jennifer....it's just if you are a "slower loser" type like me, they could  hinder your weight loss.  You'd have to drink more of them to get a good amount of protein, which of course, means ingesting more carbs.  Too many carbs slow down weight loss. 

I've had people in the group ask me "why aren't I losing faster" and when they switched to a lower carb shake, they found it boosted their weight loss.    There are lots of good quality protein shakes that are MUCH cheaper, much less carbs and more quality protein.   There's a lot of "hype" with these - I've even had people show up at the support group meeting TELLING me they were there to "sell" their product.  The marketing is pretty aggressive because you get some free for every 3 people you sell too or something like that.   I did ask the Windsor Centre about them after many people were trying to push them to me.   The Windsor Centre also said don't count on the vitamins in these either and they recommend additional supplementing regardless of the "vitamins" that are in them.

Dawn

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

savasana
on 3/16/12 3:12 am - St. Thomas, Canada
RNY on 03/06/12
 The whole company is also a pyramid scheme.  Best to stay away entirely.

Diminishing Dawn
on 3/16/12 3:24 am - Windsor, Canada
Yep but don't get me started on that one. Great group of people to market too to make more $$$$-- bariatric patients! LOL

Dawn

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

Monica M.
on 3/16/12 3:01 am - Penetanguishene, Canada
Susan, places like Popeyes will let you try samples of their products. I've even heard that they'll take returns on unused portions of protein powders, but i've never done that before.

Kimmer75
on 3/16/12 3:50 am - London, Canada
 I'm pre-op so some of the other ladies may know better than I do. But I have used the Syntrax Nectar drinks. They are more like a fruit juice or iced tea. My favs have been roadside lemonade, fuzzy navel and iced tea. 
They're 23 grams of protein 
0grams of sugar
0grams of gluten
0 grams of fat
100 calories per scoop. 
If you go to their website you can get a sample pack of the flavors available. $13. They'll ship to Canada no problem. 
CanDoItFour
on 3/16/12 6:12 am - Canada
I didn't like protein drinks either, and started using unflavoured Beneprotein from Nestle which I would add to other things like coffee, soups, sugar free applesauce, yogurt, etc.  Worked for me, and I still use it 1 year out.  It can be purchased on line and delivered at no charge through the food shop at Sick Kid's Hospital in TO, or you can order it through your pharmacy. 

Claire
HW 348
CW 152
Leanne1
on 3/16/12 6:35 am - Newmarket, Canada
I love the Premier Protein from Costco.
I am going to also get the powder (from Costco) I like to add it when I'm baking.
Susan B.
on 3/16/12 9:42 am - Canada
RNY on 02/17/12

OMG ~~ thank you everyone I was wondering about the cosco premier shakes but was not sure-I went today and bought a case--They are just like chocolate milk-None of the chemical smell or taste and they dont make me nauseated. 

Thank you all so much I probably would not have bought them had I not asked on here and heard from you all.

You guys rock for sure-this board is so helpful and honest-best group on the internet for sure!!!

(sitting back sipping my choco drink)

Have a great weekend all!

From Orientation at TWH to Surgical date~6 months 

savasana
on 3/16/12 10:16 am - St. Thomas, Canada
RNY on 03/06/12
 Hooray, that is so fantastic!  I'm about to have half a one myself.  What a relief, eh?

Most Active
Recent Topics