protein drinks/powders

Susan B.
on 3/16/12 1:33 am - Canada
RNY on 02/17/12
Hi All,  Looking for all input.  I am 4 weeks out and I really am not able to drink the protein shakes,  I have tried six star 3 different flavours, as well as a few different brands I was able to get some sample single sizes of.  They all taste chemical to me as well the smell puts me off.  I have been able to force a few down however at the end of the day (I have to sip them slowly throughout the day) I feel sick to my stomach.  I am nauseated as I drink them as well I find when I drink the shakes my hot flashes are even worse. ( I am menopausal)

I have found one protein supplement from bulk barn that is a ice tea powder, I am more able to get that in-still only one per day-it does not make me feel sick to my stomach and the hot flashes are not so bad.

I have been researching different types but I really dont know what to look for to find something different.

I am sure I am not the only person who has had or has this issue so looking for any and all thoughts on what to do. 

I am focusing on my protein intake in regard to food but dang its difficult to get that much volume in at this point.

thanks!!

From Orientation at TWH to Surgical date~6 months 

savasana
on 3/16/12 1:49 am - St. Thomas, Canada
RNY on 03/06/12
 This has been my issue as well.  I've spent so much money trying to find a protein powder that doesn't make me gag and I've yet to do it.  

I finally resorted to the Premier Protein shakes from Costco yesterday.  I had heard they had awesome stats (super low carb and sugar but 30g of protein) but that they tasted terrible.  You know what?  I can actually drink them and they tasted pretty good to me.  I'm a week and a half out and yesterday I finally got up to 40g of protein for the day.  Only half way there but getting better each day and will improve as I move to the soft food stage.

I still haven't found a powder I can mix with my food but I'm still searching.

Protein powder/shake flavour is so personal that it really seems to be hit or miss.

I'm sorry I can't help further, I can only add empathy really and wishes of luck in your search.

Joyce J.
on 3/16/12 1:49 am - Scarborough, Canada
HI there

Have you tried the pre mixed ones? I like the Atkins chocolate. Tastes like chocolate milk. I add milk to it because it is too chocolatey lol.
It's not high in protein but would help. I think it is only 15g of protein.

If the one from the bulk barn works for you go with it. Just check the sugar content.

Take care

Joyce----Today is the first day of the rest of your life

jenniferhyatt
on 3/16/12 1:54 am - Canada
Have you tried BODY BY VI????You can only buy it online or through a subscriber (kind of like weigh****chers) and it is to die for. It takes like cake mix and you can make pancakes and muffins and a hole bunch of things. It is wonderfull and has alot of vitamins and no sugar and alot of protien in 2 scoops. I am addicted and use it once a day and my bf 3 years out uses it religiously for body build. there is different types for different stages. If anyone wants info let me know. I am going to a party sunday to become a seller maybe or just to get some for myself .

Diminishing Dawn
on 3/16/12 2:30 am - Windsor, Canada
 Body By Vi is not recommended Jennifer. It does not meet the nutritional standards as set out by Toronto. 

BBV are not quality shakes for us. Too many carbs and not enough protein per calories.  I've asked the centre on this one.  Unfortunately there are a lot of "pushers" for this product so you'll hear how great they are by them.  

Dawn

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

Diminishing Dawn
on 3/16/12 2:34 am - Windsor, Canada

Read the label:

Look for protein powders that have:

-20-30 grams of protein per 30 grams of powder.

-Less than 3 grams of carbohydrates per 30 grams of powder.

-concentrate or isolate forms.

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

Susan B.
on 3/16/12 2:08 am - Canada
RNY on 02/17/12
I was contemplating going to cosco today so I think I will-thanks!!

From Orientation at TWH to Surgical date~6 months 

Tina72
on 3/16/12 2:09 am
I use the Weiders Protein Spla**** it tastes like peach flavored water.
Hope you find something to work
Tina
TBIYTC
on 3/16/12 7:37 am - Ontario, Canada
VSG on 02/29/12
Is this a powder or already mixed?  I understand you can get it at Shoppers?

TBIYTC-The Best Is Yet To Come Referral-Mar 2011   Surgery Feb 29th, 2012

Patm
on 3/16/12 2:32 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12
Now that you are 4 weeks hopefully you can focus on foods that have more protein. Grrek yogurt, chili etc. Tghen you do not have to use the prtien pwders and drinks as much. I just had my follow-up dietitian meeting. I use little protein shakes but am told my intake is pretty good. I need to add more to my snacks but otherwise okay. I now have a lot left over and hope not to fini****!

Most Active
Recent Topics