Met surgeon.. So excited but scared too!!

tammalynn
on 3/31/12 3:04 am - Peterborough, Canada
So yesterday I went, and Met with Dr. Starr.. was a great meeting, and he is such a positive Doctor. Explained everything very well... However said because of My BMI I'm in the red zone for surgery ... So was a little scary as he explained that puts me at a bit of a increase for complication. I know this is what I need, and want.. just a little worried. I was however shocked I lost 13 pds.. So from now till surgery I will try to loose some weight I guess. I really just hope that My BMI won't effect the how long it takes for a surgery Date.
Surgeon Consultation with Dr Starr-- March 30th/2012 Gastric Class on -April 13th/2012 Registered Dietitian-May 28 /2012 Registered Nurse-May 28/2012
Social Worker-May 28/2012 Surgery Date June 21/2012  
Nathalie_Can
on 3/31/12 3:16 am, edited 3/31/12 3:21 am
I was over 400 when I met Starr...and yes, great man, great surgeon and positive like you said. Obviously, it would be a great advanage for you to lose before surgery, lowers the complications, etc. Wtg on 13...and your BMI won't affect the wait...:)
All the best in your journey and can't to hear about it...:)
Nathalie

~Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you really wanted!~    

Brenda T.
on 3/31/12 6:22 am - Oshawa, Canada
RNY on 05/14/12
Congrats on your appointment. That is great you have lost some weight.
I don't think it will slow down the surgery date. Congrats on all your upcoming appointments.

Brenda             Visit my profile for timelines                         My  is Monica M.

hobbithands
on 3/31/12 6:50 am - Brussels, Canada
RNY on 05/30/12
 I am so proud of you for the 13. It will be all high 5s and butt slaps when I see you. 
Also Yay for meeting Dr Starr. It shouldnt affect the wait, and call me when the girls go down.
Love you!!!!

(deactivated member)
on 3/31/12 10:03 am - Milton, Canada
 Can I ask a question please ?  Does your BMI # really matter that much?  I'm just at the very start.  I've learned a small amount.  So please excuse my lack of knowledge. 

Ths

Brandy 
sam1am
on 4/1/12 12:43 am
Brandy, your bmi matters for a few reasons.  The higher it is, the more difficult the surgery would probably be, as it would just be that much more difficult to get at all the parts that need to be altered. That said, doctors doing bariatric surgery are trained to deal with this.  On the other hand if you are at the beginning of your journey, you will need to know that you have to have a minimum bmi of 35 with comorbities such as diabetes, sleep apnea etc or a bmi of at least 40 with no comorbities to qualify for surgery.  I hope this helps!

Sandy                                           

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody  else up"                     

Mark Twain                                                       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCatAnimation One      

tammalynn
on 4/1/12 5:04 am - Peterborough, Canada
I just want to say Thank you so Much Ladies for your replies, You know as I read them, I feel so much better!! Thank you so much.
Brandy BMI is definetly important, as the higher it is also the greater risk for complications. I'm glad I learned this now,because I'm going to work hard to try, and bring myself as much out of the red zone as possible. Brandy may I also say congrats on your Journey!! Thank you ladies for anwsers,ans support!! 
Surgeon Consultation with Dr Starr-- March 30th/2012 Gastric Class on -April 13th/2012 Registered Dietitian-May 28 /2012 Registered Nurse-May 28/2012
Social Worker-May 28/2012 Surgery Date June 21/2012  
Most Active
Recent Topics