Calorie Counting

Jenna V.
on 4/17/12 7:23 am - Guelph, Canada
VSG on 02/15/12
Hi,

I hope everyone is having a fantastic day!

The purpose of this discussion topic is to get a little insight and advice on calorie counting....

Do you count calories, fat, carbs, etc?

If so, do you do this in the  ObesityHelp  "Health Tracker"? 

What is your daily allotment for carbs and/or calories?

Do you pre-plan your meals?

Thanks in advance!

(deactivated member)
on 4/17/12 7:35 am - Canada
Do you count calories, fat, carbs, etc? - Yes, I count calories, fat, carbs, protein, fiber and sugar.

If so, do you do this in the  ObesityHelp  "Health Tracker"? No.  I use My Fitness Pal.  I've been using that for years.

What is your daily allotment for carbs and/or calories?  Calories I try and stay in the 1000-1200 calorie range.  Carbs I try and keep under 50g/day - this would be net carbs.

Do you pre-plan your meals?  Oh lordy yes!  I have to or else I end up eating junky carbs.

ToNewBeginnings
on 4/17/12 10:39 am
For the first year or so after RNY I did not count calories at all.
I only paid attention to getting in a minimum of 60g protein.

I tracked my protein and liquid manually on paper using www.personal-nutrition-guide.com and making printouts.

I started out at 294 lbs and I started counting cals in my low 170's when my weight didn't move anymore.

I use sparkpeople.com.  I plan the day before and enter my food and it tracks Protein/carbs/fat and Fibre.

I try for a ratio of 40 percent of my calories from Protein, 30 from carbs and 30 from fat.
In actuality I eat a few more carbs.

I have reached my goal of 160 but I am still wondering if I can lose more. I'm eating about 1200 or so calories a day with very little exercise.

royses1066
on 4/17/12 11:22 am
Hi Jenna,
I track calories, fat, carbs, proein grams & water intake using my i-pod touch.  It's easy, does keep track accurately and can even track excercise.  I'm averaging 1100-1500 calories /day but am very tall (6'4").  I've used it since day one, and like the "calorie Counter" free app.  It travels well, and is good for tracking my weight and a very handy app.  There are several computer and mobile apps that work well.  I think it is wise to keep track, even manually.  I don't pre plan my meals daily, but try to focus on higher protein, low starch, and get lots of low fat dairy in.  I'm more than halfway to goal in only 5 months so feel it's going well.  Food is no longer a focus of the day, just fuel to live the active life. Funny how my old favourites don;t sit well in the pouch now (cant stomach eggs, salmon, bread).
Good to hear from you, keep up the good work!

Tanya T.
on 4/17/12 10:40 pm
Hi Jenna,

I am using myfitnesspal.  Basically you search for your food and it calcuates the rest for you which is a life saver for me.  I am able to access it from my iphone and my home pc so it keeps me accountable.
If you decide on it feel free to add me as a friend "ttamburri" is my user name.

Tanya

Jenna V.
on 4/18/12 1:35 am - Guelph, Canada
VSG on 02/15/12
Thanks so much for all of the advice. I would like to start pre-planning and tracking as I have not been doing that.

Most Active
Recent Topics