Home from Toronto with (surprise) a Sleeve!!!!!!

northernlight
on 5/15/12 6:03 am - Canada
VSG on 05/11/12
I arrived home from TWH yesterday, with a Sleeve, instead of my planned RNY, but it's all fine with me! Turned out that there was extensive scar tissue from my hysterectomy and Dr Jackson decided to do the Sleeve (3 hrs) instead of trying for an RNY (5 hrs). He was surprised to find that my liver was one of the largest that he had ever seen, even though I drank my Optifast for 4 weeks with NO cheating - he stated that it sometimes just happens this way, but he managed to work around it. I went to ICU for 24 hrs after surgery due to my breathing & heart issues and there was a bit of a problem with my blood pressure constantly spiking into the 200's, then getting very, very low but eventually everything settled down. I passed gas really well & had no trouble drinking water, but I just had no appetite & couldn't eat the Jello or drink the juice - just too sweet. I had quite a bit of pain from the gas they pumped into me - that hurt worse than my incision sites. Also, I had a lot of pain in my back from laying flat for so long (I can only normally lay for 30 mins tops, due to my spinal stenosis & disc problems) - that was probably the most painful part of the surgery experience. Feeling much better today & eating SF pudding, Greek yogurt (not too tasty - must find a way to make that tastier) & drinking water, beef broth & protein shakes.  BM's are coming slowly but starting - taking Colace to help.

So now, my job is to learn all that I can about the Sleeve since I concentrated on the RNY. Dr Jackson was the best & took wonderful care of me - I was so lucky to have him doing my surgery! It sure feels good to be back at home again! Thanks to all of you who sent messages to me in the hospital - my daughter, Jennifer, read them to me when I started to feel better. She & my husband took great care of me but the ride home from Toronto yesterday seemed endless with the various pains & I was very cold all the way, so it was so nice to walk into my house & know that I would soon feel like me again! It feels so great to be finally sitting on the bench with so many of you! If any of you Sleeve veterans have any words of advice for me, I'd love to hear them!

Deb

Monica M.
on 5/15/12 6:06 am - Penetanguishene, Canada
So good to hear from you, Deb!!! Thank you so much!

Hannahmumma03
on 5/15/12 6:09 am - Oshawa Ontario, Canada
Good to hear its all going well and that you have embraced your "surprise"!! Good luck to you!

Referral August 18th 2011               Orientation Dec 7th 2011
SW Jan 12 2012                                  Nurse Jan 12 2012
Nut. Class Feb 8th 2012                  Psych  May 16th 2012
Dietician May 16th 2012                   Meet The Surgeon Sept 21 2012
PATTS: November 19th 2012           Surgery: November 29th 2012

My Angel is: Brenda T. 

happypants
on 5/15/12 6:18 am - Ottawa, Canada
 Deb WELCOME to the Bench!! I'm so happy things went well for you. Sending positive healing vibes your way

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.

Surgery July 22, 2011  Starting weight 270  128 lbs lost  Today's weight 142 lbs                 Ann       

Hanneli xoxo
on 5/15/12 6:19 am - Sudbury, Canada
RNY on 10/30/12
welcome home, Deb

Leafsfan1982
on 5/16/12 1:27 am - Canada
hey,
My name is terri..i`m from sault ste marie..really close to u:)
have u had the surgery already or goign for it?
Hanneli xoxo
on 5/16/12 2:33 am - Sudbury, Canada
RNY on 10/30/12
Have not gone yet.. going through the process right now of all the appointments. Are you going through the Sudbury centre or Toronto?

Dianadcr
on 5/15/12 6:21 am - Canada
Happy you're home and slowly starting the healing process. Best wishes to you as you continue to get stronger, healthier and as a bonus, smaller!
  Diana

Joyce J.
on 5/15/12 6:23 am - Scarborough, Canada
Hi Deb,

Glad all went well and you are home recuperating.

Listen to your body, rest when you need to

Nice to see you posting, keep us updated
Take care

Joyce----Today is the first day of the rest of your life

(deactivated member)
on 5/15/12 6:24 am - Canada
Welcome to the bench!! I have no doubt you'll be just as successful with the sleeve as you would with an RNY.

My liver was still huge too after 4 weeks of Opti. Not sure why it works out that way but we're lucky to have such great doctors who can work with it
Most Active
Recent Topics