DR. HAGEN - RECOMMENDED BY ANETHESIOLOGIST??

kucletsa
on 6/3/12 10:33 am - Canada
So my husband works in a residential building and there is also an anesthesiologist who lives there. My husband asked him if he knew the VSG procedure and he said yes. Becoming more common. He asked if he had to chose a surgeon wether it B in Ontario or out of country. He responded. There are many surgeons in Ontario. But he said world wide he only trusts one pair of hands. That he described as golden?. And it is Dr Hagen. I was scheduled to be at Toronto western. But now moved to HRRH To have dr Hagen. Should I be trusting this dr opinion?  Also will he even approve me to have the VSG? I heard now they need a medical reason submitted to Ohip in order fr it to be covered?  
Can some tell me how to jump thru hoops to get the VSG?  Can anyone out there tell me their experience with this surgeon and VSG?

Thank you for reading!

REF SENT: DEC 2011  ORIENTATION: APRIL 19TH, 2012!!!!    
(deactivated member)
on 6/3/12 10:56 am - Bumfuknowhere, Canada
I think we have many wonderful surgeons in Ontario and Dr. Hagen is one of them. Many of his patients post on this board and they all seem very happy with him but then I also see many other patients who have gone to other surgeons be just as equally happy and successful.  I'm sure the anesthesist is recommending him because he knows his work better than other surgeons.  I can't help you with the VSG questions as I"m not sure how hard it is to convince him or if he even does it.  I know other surgeons at HRRH do them but forget if he is one that does or doesn't but pretty sure he does.  Most surgeons will tell you RNY is the gold standard but some people have convinced surgeons to do a VSG even if they didn't meet the OHIP criteria.

Hopefully others will chime in that have actually had him as their surgeon for a VSG.
kucletsa
on 6/3/12 11:09 am - Canada
 Tracey. 

Thank you kindly for your response. I know all they really enforce is the RNY. But I am truly not comfortable with re routing anything in my body :)

Thanks kindly for the feedback :)
(deactivated member)
on 6/3/12 11:12 am - Bumfuknowhere, Canada
I strongly believe that no surgery is one size fits all and people should have the right to choose.  I wanted a lap-band and self paid to get what I wanted.  It's unfortunate that so many places really only push the RNY even though 2 other surgeries are covered by OHIP.
Chris_H
on 6/4/12 10:14 am
 I'm going through the Windsor Centre.  I thought they said that only the RNY was covered, but maybe what they meant was that it is the "gold standard."  Can you tell me what the other 2 surgeries are that are covered by OHIP?  Thanks.
(deactivated member)
on 6/4/12 10:17 am - Bumfuknowhere, Canada
The other 2 are DS and VSG.  Most centres will tell you that if the RNY is not possible they will do the VSG.  Only one centre does the DS and that is St. Joe's Hamilton.
OKNEE FE + 3
on 6/4/12 1:16 pm
Dr Hagen did my VSG

Oknee's just gotta dance
Weight at the start of Optifast 378 T-1 OR Weight 352
Broke the 300 pound Barrier 13-Dec-2009 291.2lbs 01-APR-11 "onederland"
HGBA1C 5.2  d/c from the care of  my Endocrinolgist 09-JUL-10 "diabetes resolved"
10-MAR-11 Extreme Sleep Apnea (dx 2007) resolved-"b-bye CPAP won't miss ya"

HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT IRON AND/OR http://theironmaiden.ca/                

Lorraine M.
on 6/3/12 11:58 am - Canada
You have been asking this same question for months.

We invited you to our coffee chat but you didn't show up. Why don't you just meet with the surgeon and find out the answers to your questions. I have given you feedback on Dr Hagen already as have many others. 

Julia P.
on 6/3/12 12:08 pm, edited 6/3/12 12:08 pm - Canada
RNY on 10/16/12

You said something very similar a couple of months ago - that your husband worked with a surgeon who said Dr. Hagen is the only one he'd trust to do bypass surgery:

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/on/4515026/Dr-Hagen/#37380 892

I'm sure Dr. Hagen is not the only good surgeon out there????

Referral - December 2011 * Orientation TWH - March 13th, 2012 * Nurse Practitioner - April 17th, 2012 * Nutrition Class - April 17th, 2012 * Social Worker - April 24th, 2012 * Dietician - May 1st, 2012 * Psych - May 1st, 2012 * Surgeon - August 17th, 2012 * PATTS - Sept. 12th, 2012 * SURGERY TEGH, Dr. Cyriac - October 16th, 2012

Starting Weight - 320 lbs   *   Current Weight - 178 lbs  *  Goal Weight - 165 lbs 

kucletsa
on 6/3/12 12:37 pm - Canada
 Yup. Did post this awhile ago. Different people join this site. Different people may have not read my first post.   Do I not have a freedom of choice what to post on here and when?  They had firstly lost my file I had to resend and now waiting for my appts. If I had a apt with the surgeon obviously I would ask away...This is a life altering surgery. Of course if I have to ask a few times I will. The way I see it is. You don't have to read or respond?