Vit B 1...( thiamine ) testing not covered by ohip??

PatXYZ
on 6/6/12 3:51 pm
I don't pay for anything if the vials are drawn in the hospital, everything should be covered as they are necessary tests for a high risk group for which there are provisions for OHIP coverage.
I had OHIP approved Duodenal Switch surgery with Dr. Dennis Hong at St. Joseph's Hamilton on March 7th, 2012. Want more information on the DS in Ontario? Send me a private message!
Diminishing Dawn
on 6/6/12 11:38 pm - Windsor, Canada
Unfortunately Windsor hospitals do not perform outpatient services for bloodwork so we have to pay for it.  I've even asked the dietician at the bariatric centre.   That's why they make a point of telling their patients in advance.  It's typically $75.  

Dawn

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

Kim O.
on 6/6/12 11:44 pm - Windsor, Canada
I inquired at MLW (the labs in Windsor on Tec at Kildare, Banwell and on Ouellette). They told me that all the dr. has to do is write a note on the form that it is for bariatric surgery and we will not get charged. At my last appointment, my GP forget to write it, but he did cc the form to Dr. Shaban. I told the woman behind the desk the test was for Dr. Shaban at the Bariatric clinic, and they did at first give me a hard time, but then when I said they could call the centre and confirm that I needed the test, the fee was waived. Saved me the money...I think around $35.
referred:  Jan 2011   rec'd letter from WRH:  June 6, 2011   orientation:  July 14, 2011           SurgEd:  July 5/12     Meet the Surg.  Aug 9/12     Surgery Sept 7/12

Diminishing Dawn
on 6/7/12 12:36 am - Windsor, Canada
That is d1. There's an exemption for us. There is no formal exemption for b1.   You may not be so lucky next time.  They are petitioning Ohip on this. 

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!

Karen M.
on 6/6/12 11:47 pm - Mississauga, Canada
Interesting.  I've never been tested for that, but if our doctor wrote "medically necessary" on the req, do you think they would do it for free?  I get my Vit D checked free that way as OHIP doesn't cover it anymore.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Diminishing Dawn
on 6/7/12 12:04 am - Windsor, Canada
 Only if done at a hospital.  

GD6
on 6/7/12 5:00 am - Hamilton, Canada
Karen,

My doctor tried that as I had a severe B1 deficiency that led to foot drop and an emergency MRI.  But it was a no go, I had to pay for the test.
Yasmeen  (aka thread killer!)  

5'6.5" - HW 239.4 / SW 226.8 (Feb 5, 2010) / GW 120 (Jan 6, 2011) / LW 116.8 

JJ_
on 6/6/12 5:37 pm
Hiya,

I am in Ottawa, and we were told that if we went to a lab outside of the hospital that we would be charged for one of the tests.   I went to the hospital lab and have never had to pay. (other than for parking!!)

Judy
ruth63
on 6/6/12 10:13 pm - aurora, Canada
at Humber you get your blood work done there and there is no cost. If you did it at any regular place that test blood there is a cost.   What centre did you have your surgury at?
Hanneli xoxo
on 6/6/12 10:28 pm, edited 6/7/12 5:23 am - Sudbury, Canada
RNY on 10/30/12
deleted my message because I read it as vitamin D lol

Is B12 the same as B1? I had B12 covered

Most Active
Recent Topics