Vit B 1...( thiamine ) testing not covered by ohip??

Miss---Determined---13

on 6/6/12 1:23 pm
Sooo I'm a lil curious ...I'm in the beginning stages of this journey ...went to orientation in Hamilton last week...already received my req's for bloodwork ECG n ultrasound ..went to get my bloodwork done today ..n they asked me for $98 to cover the B1 vit test because of all the bloodwork requested this is the only test not covered by OHIP is this correct ?? I haven't really noticed anyone else mentioning this ...n this was never mentioned in some of the "out of pocket" costs that were explained to me ...if I'm wrong n this is correct excuse me please ..jus thought I would throw it out here n ask the experts thnx
PatXYZ
on 6/6/12 1:32 pm
It's only covered if you get it done at a hospital, not at a clinic.
I had OHIP approved Duodenal Switch surgery with Dr. Dennis Hong at St. Joseph's Hamilton on March 7th, 2012. Want more information on the DS in Ontario? Send me a private message!
Jennifer D.
on 6/6/12 1:34 pm
Are there any other labs like that? Can you request to have it done in a hospital or do you have to end up there for some other reason? I think i paid about $15 to have B1 tested...
                                      Jennifer
          Thank you Cheri and Holly!
       Think twice, cut once! I've had 3 surgeries now, RNY, VSG and DS .
                                Ask me about the DS or visit dsfacts.com
2002 - RNY
2010 - RNY to VSG
2011 - Full DS-August 24th
                HW 311   SW 306  CW 235  GW 150
PatXYZ
on 6/6/12 3:50 pm
Some of the ADEK vitamins are charged, but again, not if done in hospital. A and D can be done without charge at a clinic if the doctor marks them as covered, but I believe E is charged regardless. I am doing my comprehensive labs at the hospital and monitoring A, D and iron inbetween and my doc signs the req so there are no charges.
I had OHIP approved Duodenal Switch surgery with Dr. Dennis Hong at St. Joseph's Hamilton on March 7th, 2012. Want more information on the DS in Ontario? Send me a private message!
Diminishing Dawn
on 6/6/12 11:42 pm - Windsor, Canada
 Windsor hospitals do not have outpatient services so You will pay 

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

PatXYZ
on 6/7/12 8:57 am
That's just wrong!
Kim O.
on 6/6/12 1:33 pm - Windsor, Canada
I was not charged for that one,but was charged for my first vit d test; however, if the dr. writes on the req. form it is for bariatric surgery, ohip will waive the fee. You might want to check on the ohip website to see if b1 is waived to for this.
referred:  Jan 2011   rec'd letter from WRH:  June 6, 2011   orientation:  July 14, 2011           SurgEd:  July 5/12     Meet the Surg.  Aug 9/12     Surgery Sept 7/12

onmom
on 6/6/12 1:43 pm, edited 6/6/12 1:48 pm
Where did you do the blood work? I did it all at St joes and didn't pay anything. Some tests are only covered if you fit a certain higher risk group. As a Bariatric patient some tests such as vitamin d levels are paid for us but not for others.
Miss---Determined---13

on 6/6/12 1:50 pm
I went to a dyna-gamma lab in London ...maybe I will try at my work I work in a hospital thnx for the feedback
Diminishing Dawn
on 6/6/12 2:20 pm - Windsor, Canada
Always paid here.  Windsor usually warns people that they'll have to pay.  At least dr shaban did 

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

Most Active
Recent Topics