Post Op question about drain

wants2Bfitagain
on 6/20/12 11:50 pm
Can someone tell me...how long do you have to keep the “drain" in for?? Maybe I am not saying it right either cause I am just starting the process but I think that is what its referred to. The tube that they keep in and removes fluids into a pouch thingy? Sorry if I am not making any sense. If you have to keep it in after you leave the hospital, Do you return to the surgeon to remove it? Thanks
cayleighsmom
on 6/20/12 11:55 pm
RNY on 06/05/12
not everyone has a drain.  i had surgery 2 weeks ago , and no drain, nor did the other two that were operated on that.  day.  But my surgeion did say if i had to have one it would proabaly be only a couple of days.  it completely depends on oyur body.  sorry i could'nt be more help

barbie
Catw
on 6/21/12 12:15 am - Arnprior, Canada
Hi there, I didn't have a drain for my surgery, but did for 2 c-sections and I had it out in a day or so, and it was the nurses that removed it, not the surgeon.  If you do need one, they'll give you the scoop on it at the hospital.

Cathy

monalisas_mom
on 6/21/12 12:21 am
 I just had mine taken out last week. It was in for 12 days. Everyone is different. It has to be draining less than 30 mls per 24 hour period before it can be removed. Hope this helps! 

Monica M.
on 6/21/12 12:24 am - Penetanguishene, Canada
not everyone has a drain. it stays in till the fluids stop coming out. You'll likely have a home care nurse come in every so often to change dressings and she/he will take it out for you.

Most Active
Recent Topics