Drinking water

coppertop84
on 7/5/12 2:24 pm - Canada
 I feel like a similar ques was asked a few days ago but I can't find it now so hopefully someone doesn't mind answering again. Ok I am 9 days post op and am starting to find I'm more thirsty which isn't a prob except i find myself not 'sipping' my water. Just drinking normally (not guzzling either) I just drank about 8oz in 5 min. I'm really scared that I'll stretch out my pouch. Could I be? At meals I can still only consume 1/3 cup of jello or broth and then I'm done. But the water seems high. Help?? 

JJ_
on 7/5/12 2:41 pm
Take a deep breath and CELEBRATE!!  Some people experience pain when they drink like you do.  Your pouch is kind of like a funnel and the water goes through rather quickly.  No pouch stretching!

I also can drink pretty regularly too.

Judy
cayleighsmom
on 7/5/12 10:17 pm
RNY on 06/05/12
that is wonderful.  i had a terrible time with water for the first 4 weeks.  then all of a sudden, it was fine. Enjoy!!
coppertop84
on 7/5/12 10:58 pm - Canada
 Yay!!! Thx so much ladies :)

ToNewBeginnings
on 7/5/12 11:00 pm
I think the post you are referring to is on the Main Board first page.

Brenda T.
on 7/5/12 11:37 pm - Oshawa, Canada
RNY on 05/14/12
I can drink the normal way too, without sipping. But I need to drink more....

Brenda             Visit my profile for timelines                         My  is Monica M.

sam1am
on 7/5/12 11:53 pm
I doubt you can damage your pouch drinking water, but I would like to caution you that you don't have all the feeling back where nerves were cut.  You may find in a couple of weeks that you can't do this (but eventually will be able to), without some discomfort.  Go easy on your pouch and take small sips, but a lot of them.  Better to be safe than sorry!

All the best!

Sandy                                           

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody  else up"                     

Mark Twain                                                       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCatAnimation One      

trudylam
on 7/6/12 3:27 am - Sudbury, Canada
I would love to be able to guzzle again.  I know that's not what you're doing...I just miss that. LOL  Do whatever is comfortable for you.  You can't stretch your pouch with water.  It's hard enough to stay hydrated in this weather without worrying about sipping constantly...do what works for you! :)  All the best. :)

cheeky_monkey
on 7/8/12 9:30 am - Ottawa ON, Canada
THANK YOU EVERYONE!!!  This is a great topic thread.

I am still pre-op but was wondering if I would be just sipping for the rest of my life.  Good to know that there is a sliding scale (so to speak).

Referral:  April 2011 <> OrientationOttawa July 15, 2011  <> Nurse:  April 16, 2012 <> Abdominal Ultrasound:  May 2, 2012 <> Behaviourist/Dietitian:  May 8, 2012 <> Education Class: July 11, 2012 <> Meet the Surgeon: July 31, 2012 <> Surgery Date: August 27, 2012

Most Active
Recent Topics