Post Op Caloric Intake

Roxy7699
on 8/1/12 4:01 am
Hi Everyone,

I am just about 9 months post-op and am finding it difficult to stay within the recommended caloric intake of 1000 cals per day. My program states very clearly  "in order to loose and maintain weightloss patients must not consume more than 1000 cals per day for the rest of your life." 

I am pretty active (running 5 KM, 3 days a week) and as of recent, have been training to do a 10 K. I suspect that the reason I am having difficulty in keeping within the 1000 cal guideline is because my body needs more cals and nutrition to support my actvitiy level. As an example, this past Sat I did a training run that lasted 1 hr 30 mins and I burned 1200 cals (I wear a heart rate monitor so I know this number is pretty accurate).

I have spoken to my Dietitian about this and her advice is that I listen to my body and eat when I genuinely feel hungry. Makes perfect sense to me, except I have trouble trusting my interpretation of my body's hunger cues given that I have strugged with obesity my entire life. I guess what I am trying to say here, is that I am working on paying more attention to the cues my body is sending me but having a numerial guide helps put my mind at ease.

I feel I have been doing well weightloss wise as I am now down 118 lbs  but I am concerned that I am eating too many calories to reach and maintain my weightloss over the long term. I have attempted to do some research into why the caloric intake set by bariatric programs is so low and have been unsucessful in finding the answer to this question. So, I thought I would pose it to my you (my fellow peers) to see if you had any input into this.

I don't want to do anything that is going to jepordize my long term success and it is really difficult emotionally to have a caloric goal that I never achieve. Leaves me feeling rather negative and frustrated instead of proud and in control (I hope this make sense).

I found this article on the internet and found it very interresting.

http://www.regainafterwls.com/2011/02/how-many-calories-do-i -need.html

I am hoping that someone out there might be able to provide some insight into why the caloric intake recommended is so very low?

Thanks so much!

~R

Monica M.
on 8/1/12 4:36 am - Penetanguishene, Canada
I was told by the dietitian and by the surgeon that, because i'm active (running a few times a week), i should make sure that i get enough protein, (at least 80g a day)

I think that for someone with your level of activity, you should up your calories a bit. You're right that its difficult to trust your hunger cues, prior to WLS, i dont think i knew what hungry was.

Calories in have to be less than the calories out. Just like a normal person.

So, if you're putting out 1200 calories for a training run, and your basal metabolic rate is about 1500 (that's what your body at its current weight needs to keep functioning, heart beating, staying upright, normal activity for your day, like getting dressed, showering, etc), you can eat 2700 calories on a day like that. (not that i'd suggest taking in that many calories) (I guesstimated your Basal metabolic rate, don't necessarily use that number)

so, if we use that 1500 as a real number, as long as you take in less than that, you're going to be losing.

Try not to get hung up on the numbers. Keep track of what and when and why you're eating (eg, take notice of your mood, activity, feelings, etc when you eat). And keep your eye on the scale. If you're still losing, then you're winning!!

keep active, make it a regular part of your day (man oh man, i have to keep that piece of advice for myself!) Whatever goes in your mouth should be healthy (another piece of the puzzzle i have to remember).

I don't know why your dietitian reccomends that low number. My dietitian and i have not talked about a calorie number. Just numbers of protein, and amounts of carbs.

I can't read that article you've linked to cuz i'm at work, but will try to later today.

sam1am
on 8/1/12 9:53 am
 I agree with Monica.  I think you need more than 1000 calories a day.  My basal rate is about 1500, so staying around there has kept me in maintenance mode.  I think I would increase it to about 1200 for a few weeks and see how you are losing. Just my humble opinion!

All the best!

Sandy                                           

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody  else up"                     

Mark Twain                                                       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCatAnimation One      

ShallowGirl
on 8/1/12 11:11 am, edited 8/1/12 11:11 am - Richmond Hill, Canada
RNY on 06/22/12
I agree with the 1200.

Ultimately your body should rule - are you gaining weight or losing weight?   Every body is different, in activity level, basic metabolism and muscle mass.

If you are maintaining, why listen to dieti-nazis?

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams. Eleanor Roosevelt    

Roxy7699
on 8/13/12 9:18 am
Thank you all so very, very much for responding to my post. I can not express how reassuring it is to get some feedback. I am feeling much better about my caloric intake and more comfortable with things overall.

I am still loosing so I am going to take that as a sign that things are ok calorie wise and if I stop loosing and do not maintain, I'll reevaluate again.

Thanks again everyone! You guys are an amazing wealth of knowledge and support
Most Active
Recent Topics