Work trip--- freaking out!!!!

coppertop84
on 8/15/12 8:58 pm - Canada
 Okay oh wise and faithful people. Here's a conundrum for ya. I just found out I gotta go on a work trip next week for 3 days. All food is provided. Menu is stuff like hamburgers, salads (lettuce, couscous, potato), corn on the cob, and dinners out at a restaurants. 
So here's the prob. A) I'm 7 weeks post op. b) I can't eat red meat or raw veggies yet (not allowed at Guelph program) 
Anyone have any suggestions? Or restaurants they can suggest that might have something healthy? We're going to London (Ontario) so chain places or if anyone knows a good place in London 
Im freaking out about the lack of control :s 

Jason W.
on 8/16/12 3:15 am - Canada
Most restaurants serve soup. I would bring some protein shakes. Premier protein shakes from Costco are premade and travel geat. Just have to be refrigerated, maybe take a small cooler.

I am going to the Bahamas next week with my work and still can't eat most meats unless ground up. So I am packing my shakes and protein bars etc to help me get by.
Orientation Jan 8 2012   Group Nut/Surgery Class Jan 23 2012
1st Surgeon Meeting Feb 2 2012    Dr. Glazer Feb 9 2012
Social Worker Feb 23 2012    Psych/Nut/Nurse Mar 8 2012
2nd Surgeon Meeting Mar 28 2012    Optifast April 18 2012 
RNY Surgery May 9 2012
  Now if I could only grow an ass.....

stephanie2011
on 8/16/12 12:44 pm - toronto, Canada

Meats are still bothing you?  sorry to hear that.  I was wondering how that was coming along. 

Referral: Aug 3, 2010       Info Session: Dec 12, 2011   
Nurse Appt: Jan 30, 2012    Diet/Nut Appt: Feb 8, 2012
Surgery Class: Jan 24, 2012
Meet Surgeon: Feb 8,2012    Start Optifast: April 24, 2012
Surgery Date: May 8, 2012

jewel-twin
on 8/16/12 3:39 am - Canada
I agree with Jason pack snacks, shakes, whatever you can take with you will help so if at lunch there is only stuff you can't have then you can excuse yourself and go get a snack you brought. Most restaurants you should be able to find something..

Good luck
ShallowGirl
on 8/16/12 4:03 am - Richmond Hill, Canada
RNY on 06/22/12
Mashed potatoes, cous cous should go down OK. I'm at the same stage. Funny that Guelph said no red meat and I had to discover that for myself at HRRH.

My problem when eating with others is that I get distracted, don't want to talk with my mouth full, etc., so I swallow stuff that's insufficiently chewed, and suffer for it.

You can snack BEFORE the meal, so that you are not hungry at the time.

Re the rest, if you are talking people don't notice what you eat, or you say, I'm not that hungry, or I just had surgery, depending. Hardly anyone actually cares what one eats.

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams. Eleanor Roosevelt    

(deactivated member)
on 8/15/12 8:58 pm - Straford, Canada
 where ever you are staying see if they can provide a small fridge if your room doesn't have one.  Otherwise get a plug in cooler from crappy tire for cheap.  high protein cereal (kashi and vector) has been my friend when travelling lately and protein bars.  regrigerate unsweetened soy milk, 0% greek yogurt and fresh fruit for smoothies, I have a baby bullet to make my own, you could pack a smallish blender.  

Eating out at your stage is difficult and everyone seems so different, but agree with Jason almost all restaurants have soup(s).  Have you tried grilled chicken yet?  That's one of the few foods that go OK with me where ever I have gotten it but I take forever to chew it.  

Hope my experiences travelling help.  Regards, Ian

ps.  love your handle!  
kellybelly333
on 8/16/12 6:06 am - Toronto, Canada
Ummm. i ate red meat as soon as I was on soft foods. One month out I was eating chili from Wendy's. Interesting how the centres are different.

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

Karen M.
on 8/16/12 6:59 am - Mississauga, Canada
Why freak out?  Seriously.  Many people have eating limitations. Eat what you're allowed, bring some protein shakes for inbetween and chill out. 

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Allaryanna
on 8/16/12 7:15 am - Belleville, Canada
RNY on 02/09/12
 Having gone through Guelph myself I understand the panic.  But there really is no need, so just breath in deep and make a plan.

So call the hotel and check on the fridge and microwave in room, bring yogourt, cottage cheese, cheese strings, etc .  Also bring some oatmeal or even cream of whear packets, with carmel SF davinci syrup it tastes like maple.  You should be able to have coussous.  As far as chains go, Swiss Chalet is always a safe bet, their chicken has always been easy on my stomach.  Just ask them to steam the heck out of your veggies. 

Good luck and enjoy your time away.

Di

Referral: January 2010     Orientation: Dec 2010      1st Appt's : April 26/2011       Surgery : Feb 9 / 2012      

Starting Weight:  265   Surgeons Goal : 187lbs    Personal Goal: 150lbs 

coppertop84
on 8/16/12 8:15 am - Canada
Thanks all for your advice, input, and talking me down from the ledge. I can eat chicken really well. I've eaten out a couple times and ordered grilled chicken and steamed veggies and they sat really well so if swiss chalet isn't possible I'll just try to order that, or soup at a restaurant. We're staying at a b&b (but they don't provide the breakfast) so we have a full fridge, so great ideas to pack my greek yogurt, protein shakes/bars, cheese strings for my snacks or to fill the gaps.
I just found out that bbq'd portabellos and veggie skewers are on the menu for lunch one day so I think I'll just ask to make extra and then set it aside for other meals that I can't have (like the burgers)
I guess I just get worried being so soon out that I'll screw up and ruin Penelope (my pouch)... I feel much better now... thanks y'all xox

Most Active
Recent Topics