2 days Pre-op!

strangegrrl
on 8/21/12 2:35 am
 Ok so I'm all done my 3 week Optifast and I'm in my final two days before surgery. Ther nerves are starting. I haven't slept very well these last two nights but still looking forward to Thursday. I'm on a clear fluid diet starting today so no shakes but all the ls/lf broth, no sugar added juice, and sf jello I can handle. I'm already off work (just the way the posted work schedule worked out) and trying to figure out what to do with myself. What did you all do? Sleep? Busy Work? How did you handle the no shake thing? 
JJ_
on 8/21/12 3:32 am
I am in Ottawa and we have our last shake the night before surgery.  Whenever I am nervous, I will straighten things up or clean.  It helps with the extra energy that is built up.  I had a list of things to accomplish before surgery.  I finished the list the afternoon before surgery, so my final list was to not forget my CPAP machine and makeup for the hospital bag.

Good luck on Monday!

Judy
Nikkismom
on 8/21/12 5:01 am - Toronto, Canada
Makeup? Should I be bringing makeup? I'm leaving in an hour.
Carol

Referral April 2012, Surgery August 21, 2012
JJ_
on 8/21/12 5:04 am
Hi Carol,

I had a shower the morning after surgery.  I was so glad to have brought my own toiletries, lotion and makeup.  I felt so much better then.

However, it is totally up to you what you bring :)

Judy
strangegrrl
on 8/21/12 5:09 am
 Ah. So interesting how all the clinics have different rules. At St Joes in Hamilton there is no allowance for green veggies during opti, a two day pre op "fast" (nothing after midnight the night before surgery of course) and no showering until the day you get home from the hospital (day 4). 

I will definitely be doing a lot of cleaning tomorrow. My poor hubby is going to be left alone with our two kids (1 and 3) for 3 days. I can only imagine what the house will look like when I get home....
Diana B.
on 8/21/12 6:31 am
RNY on 07/20/12
I found cleaning and organizing a good way to pass the time and keep my mind off food. 

I'm in Ottawa too so we're allowed shakes right up to the night before surgery. NO veggies though. I would have given my right arm for a cucumber. 

Best of luck. You're almost there!!!
Referral Sent to Ottawa WMC December 16th 2010
Info Session/First Appointment March 25th 2011
Surgical Assessment January 3rd 2012
Dietitian and Behaviourist February 15th 2012
Abdominal Ultrasound May 8 2012
Surgical Education Class June 13 2012
Surgeon Appointment June 28 2012
SURGERY!!!!! July 20 2012

gardeninggal
on 8/21/12 9:59 am - Midland, Canada
 Good job!  My nerves have 'started' off and on throughout this process and your post is very honest and realistic to me.  I just finished 7 days of Opti with 14 more ahead.  It has been an overall good experience but one too that is kind of weird.  I went to the grocery store to purchase laundry soap, a few things for hubby's supper and found myself looking at things I normally buy only to realize that I can't have them or don't need them.  It was almost surreal.  So as I am allowed veggies I came home with broccoli and cucumbers ( both of which are quite cheap right now as they are in season).  

Best of luck to you in the next couple of days and I too have been cleaning, tackling jobs like a cupboard or closet just to keep my mind off food.  I have been preparing hubby's supper and then taking my shake to the computer so that I don't have to watch him eat.  I can't say that I am hungry as the shakes do the job but it is the whole prepare, cook, eat, routine that I am missing.  Did not realize that eating took up so much time in a day.  On the other hand it is also a nice change because my decision making is so quick:  chocolate or vanilla with which flavouring this time???

Speedy days ahead for you strangegrrl

Most Active
Recent Topics