Guelph diet help

spooky104
on 8/30/12 12:09 am - London, Canada
RNY on 07/26/12
So i had my surgery rny at Guelph July 26 this year.. i just finished my first week of reg/soft foods.  i am kinda confused... Guelph's papers say to have some sort of carb for lunch and dinner ie, says bread whole grain, tortilla, pasta,rice, potato's no skin and Melba toast x4...  so at lunch i have been having some laughing cow lite and one to two whole grain Melba toasts.  and dinner I've had mashed tatters and i tried a tiny bit like less than a 1/4 of a 6inch tortilla which didn't sit well.. potatoes are fine tho.  breakie I've had half a piece of whole grain toast with my egg or pb on it.. don't eat the crust.  anyway,  its so confusing because every center is different and on here everyone says no carbs no bread or potato's.  i do eat them last protein first but iam tracking the stuff on fit day and it says I'm almost at 80g of carbs a day mostly from the fruits and veg and then the bread potato's etc
so I'm at a loss to do.. I'm 5 weeks out today.  they also say to drink a glass of milk a day 1cup..  I've always drank skim and also have three fruits I've been having banana, blueberries, pears and watermelon and Greek yogurt..   i really just want to make sure I'm doing this right.. I've been stalled at my weight all week too..   if anyone can help on this and any guelphers that have gotton the same paper what did you guys do..  all the nutritionist said when i went for my 2 weeks was to stay away from the rice for now.. i don't really like rice so not a prob but she said the rest was fine?.. i was never a horrible bad eater pre op it was mainly my giant cave man portions that i grew up on..  so nothing is a trigger for me.

I'm really at a loss do i follow the paper to a T or avoid those things?  this is a one day food thing for me from yesterday i worked overnights in emerg so had to save my snacks for work because there isn't enough break time to eat a full meal

Breakfast - 1 egg white cooked with pepper, half banana, and Half piece whole grain toast(no crust) AM Snack - At work -   60ml of blueberries, 60ml of Greek plain yogurt Lunch - At work - 1 light cheese string, 1 Melba toast whole grain PM Snack - At work - 1 wedge of light laughing cow, 1 Melba toast whole grain , half banana Dinner  - 1oz ground chicken( mixed some epicure taco mix into it) 100ml of onions and green peppers, a bit of cooked cilantro. Warmed up half a 6" whole grain tortilla to make it toasty,  made homemade tzatziki with a tbsp of Greek yogurt. put all the mixings on the tortilla. ( only got less than 1/2  in, realized it was a little to much seasonings and started to feel sick so stopped immediately .) Evening Snack - At work - 100ml of Greek plain yogurt 1 cup of skim milk, 1.5 liters of water

Referral Date: Feb 3,2010        Orientation Date: April 7,2011  Guelph
Nurse and Dietitian: July 4, 2011 they canceled my apt cause no one was ava :(
Rescheduled Date: August 24 2011  2nd Apts: October 4 2011
Nutrition Class: March 27 2012    Meet the surgeon: April 17 2012

Colonoscopy: June 4 2012   Surgery: July 26 2012

joanne_1970
on 8/30/12 4:51 am - Harriston, Canada
I went through Guelph a year ago so things might have changed but I know on my sheet it says 1/4 of a banana is a serving for us and I only had 2 servings of fruit a day the rest were veggies.  Bananas are my favorite but at one year out I still only eat 1/3 a banana at a time with my yogurt.  They told us to eat the whole egg not just the white as its the yolk that has the most protein.  I stayed away from breads and rice because for a long while I couldn't tolerate them but I was ok with tortillas or Melba toast.
Good luck

Joanne

Monica M.
on 8/30/12 6:06 am - Penetanguishene, Canada
Joanne, i have to correct you on the egg thing. It's the white that is pure protein, the yolk is where the fat is.

joanne_1970
on 8/30/12 7:47 am - Harriston, Canada
Hi Monica looked it up and your right. 
I know one of the nutritionists at Guelph had told me whole egg was better and thinking back I thought it was for the protien but must not have been.
Joanne

Nutrients: Egg Yolks Versus Egg Whites

Nutrient White Yolk % Total in White % Total in Yolk
Protein 3.6 g 2.7g 57% 43%
Fat 0.05g 4.5g 1% 99%
Calcium 2.3 mg 21.9 mg 9.5% 90.5%
Magnesium 3.6 mg 0.85 mg 80.8% 19.2%
Iron 0.03 mg 0.4 mg 6.2% 93.8%
Phosphorus 5 mg 66.3 mg 7% 93%
Potassium 53.8 mg 18.5 mg 74.4% 25.6%
Sodium 54.8 mg 8.2 mg 87% 13%
Zinc 0.01 mg 0.4 mg 0.2% 99.8%
Copper 0.008 mg 0.013 mg 38% 62%
Manganese 0.004 mg 0.009 mg 30.8% 69.2%
Selenium 6.6 mcg 9.5 mcg 41% 59%
Thiamin 0.01 mg 0.03 mg 3.2% 96.8%
Riboflavin 0.145 mg 0.09 mg 61.7% 48.3%
Niacin 0.035 mg 0.004 mg 89.7% 9.3%
Pantothenic acid. 0.63 mg 0.51 mg 11% 89%
B6 0.002 mg 0.059 mg 3.3% 96.7%
Folate 1.3 mcg 24.8 mcg 5% 95%
B12 0.03 mcg 0.331 mcg 8.3% 91.7%
Vitamin A 0 IU 245 IU 0% 100%
Vitamin E 0 mg 0.684 mg 0% 100%
Vitamin D 0 IU 18.3 IU 0% 100%
Vitamin K 0 IU 0.119 IU 0% 100%
DHA and AA 0 94 mg 0% 100%
Carotenoids 0 mcg 21 mcg 0% 100%

JJ_
on 8/30/12 4:52 am
Your body does need carbs.  Some folks limit their carbs during the weight loss phase to complex carbs like veggies and fruit.  That is more like the South Beach or Atkins Diet.

I am in Ottawa, and we are told to eat grains, toast etc. too.

It truly is a personal decision at this point.  It sounds like you are doing well and your weight loss will follow.

Judy
Penny85
on 8/30/12 5:58 am - Guelph, Canada
 I went through Guelph and followed their meal plan ideas in regards to carbs.  I try and only have whole wheat grains instead of white and my weight loss has been above average, according to the clinic.
I wouldn't worry about it too much, your weight loss will continue just give it time.

Pre-opti-  289 lbs    Surgery-  283.8 lbs    Current-  209 lbs    Surgeons Goal-  180    My Goal-  150 lbs

Referral sent - June 2010          Surgery date - December 14, 2011       Referral to surgery - 18 months

coppertop84
on 8/30/12 6:29 am - Canada
 Ya they were supposed to fix that sheet. It should say grain OR veg. Eat the veggies now. Skip all the carbs. A little is ok but 80g of carbs a day is way too much. I asked the same ques

sam1am
on 8/30/12 6:32 am
I'm always shocked when a centre advises bread and crackers.  There is VERY little nutrition in them and our stomach's/pouches, just don't have enough room to pack in the protein that we desparately need, and these useless carbs.  In my opinion (no Dr and not a nutritionist either), I would use that space for something healthier in the very least a complex rather than simple carb, like a low glycemic veggie.  Carbs crave carbs and being early out, you really don't want that craving back.

Sandy                                           

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody  else up"                     

Mark Twain                                                       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCatAnimation One      

SandpaperSandy
on 8/30/12 8:26 am - Kitchener, Canada
I went through Guelph and had lost more than was expected from the clinic.  I followed the diet and included carbs everyday, not every meal, but every day.  I found eating crackers or melba toast or whatever carb suggestion was ont he diet, was not my thing before surgery, so I wasn';t going to do it afterwards.   

I only ate the carb at one meal a day--  either breakfast, lunch or dinner.  so a bit of planning was my key.   To this day, after 1 1/2 years out, I still follow the same rule. 

I make sure I eat dairy everyday - milk, yogurt or cheese,  just be choosey with the carb you select - try to eliminate the white carb stuff and replace the item with whole grain or brown.

it really comes down to planning and learning what is healthy.  

everyone has an opinion, so you need to figure out what is right for you.  Each clinic has their own set of guidelines. 
spooky104
on 8/30/12 10:27 am - London, Canada
RNY on 07/26/12
thanks everyone.. to the top postings i hate yolks so i only eat egg whites lol yolks are yucky.. 
but ya i was soo confused on all the carbs and maybe i will just stick to one a day i do only eat whole grain stuff stopped eating white breads a while ago..  but i enjoy mashed taters.. so maybe i will stick to one a day either the toast in the morn or something for dinner...    the 80g carbs seemed soo high to me.  i still haven't gotten my protein up to 64 its sitting at about 45 so i gotta start with some unflavored protein powder to add to food 

Referral Date: Feb 3,2010        Orientation Date: April 7,2011  Guelph
Nurse and Dietitian: July 4, 2011 they canceled my apt cause no one was ava :(
Rescheduled Date: August 24 2011  2nd Apts: October 4 2011
Nutrition Class: March 27 2012    Meet the surgeon: April 17 2012

Colonoscopy: June 4 2012   Surgery: July 26 2012

Most Active
Recent Topics