tomorrow it begins

RufusLynx
on 9/16/12 8:38 pm, edited 9/16/12 10:26 pm - Canada
Tomorrow, at 1 pm  I have my orientation at HRRH.

So far, I'be been doing research and reading a lot of posts here to better educate myself on the impact of WLS.  And certainly I am convinced that having the surgery with be an ecellent solution for me to lose 100 lbs.

At 6'3 and 300 lbs, my BMIat 37 or so, that makes me what some of you refer to as a "lightweight". With my hypertension, i qualify for WLS and so I'm certain i can go ahead with if i want to.

And equally certainly, I'm certain that WLS will help me lose that 100lbs... probab;ly mostly because I'll be FORCED to do so.

As an addict, and having beaten, many years ago, alcohol and drug addiictions, I am very aware that my addictive personality is what got me to be so obese, and I'm also aware that the 12 step programs that saved my butt before will not work with food. So, WLS makes a restricted diet unavoidable.

What I am trying to research now is what happens later on.... 1 - 3 years down the road.. I've heard of folks who "cheat" by eating things that slip through, and allowing their pouch to stretch and so on.

So, it seems clear to me that I will not only have to modify my eating habits because I MUST, but also I will have to modify my eating habits long term. And I'm hopoing that the first year or two after surgery will help teach me proper eating habits.

I would be very happy to you folks, particularly those of you who are 2+ years out, and hear from you on how you are doing with weight loss and what you have learned. I'd also like to hear from any of you who have regained weight and had to either have additional surgery, or perhaps found other alternatives.

Thanks

Peter

Referred: August 8, 2012. - Referral to HRRH  Dr. Hagan Dec 20 - Surgery scheduled for April 16, 2013! Surgery completed and I`m doing fine!

JJ_
on 9/17/12 1:24 am
Congrats Peter on getting your orientation day.  You may be a bit bored by the orientation session as you can learn so much online.

If you have been successful with your other addictions, you may wish to consider Overeater`s
Anonymous as well.  You can still use the 12 step program and put certain foods or food types (i.e. potato chips) on a powerless over XYZ list.  Those will be the foods that you cannot start eating again.

Good luck.

Judy
ShallowGirl
on 9/17/12 2:37 am - Richmond Hill, Canada
RNY on 06/22/12
The orientation will help. They recommend going sugar free (defined as less than 10g sugar per serving) which I did. It took about 4-5 weeks to finally get it done. Harder for me than quitting smoking, which they will also want you to do if you haven't done so already.

So don't worry - they will put you to work!

I never found OA very helpful (personally), but I do go to AA meetings because they have (to me) the stronger message, more people living the solution, and more plentiful meetings.

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams. Eleanor Roosevelt    

MadMax1010
on 9/17/12 6:47 am - Collingwood, Canada
RNY on 02/06/13
See you this afternoon

Most Active
Recent Topics