Antidepressant Questions

allie_56
on 9/27/12 9:01 pm - Canada
RNY on 03/05/13

During my appt. with the nurse, she said that medications that are extended release are not effective after the surgery. I taked Effexor XR (extend release). I will be discussing with my dr., but I am wondering if anybody is willing to share if they take an XR med. and what they are taking post surgery. Your info is appreciated!

(deactivated member)
on 9/27/12 9:36 pm - Straford, Canada
regardless of what folks say about their own meds, have a discussion with your local pharmacist, they should know best what formulation to change to based upon wls, your history and the drug's pharmocological properties.  Many docs leave the room when abut to write a script to either check the CPS on the drug's recommendations or call their pharmacist buddy (and to be fair, proper thing, there's way too many drugs with mind boggling combinations/permutations).  Enjoy your ride!   
Jenaypea
on 9/27/12 11:41 pm - Canada
 I was on Effexor X-ray pre surgery - my gp and pharmacist had concerns about absorption so we switched to a different medication.  At my one month psych apt I was advised that there are recommended instructions for taking Effexor XR post surgery.  Can you email the psych team for your centre and ask them for their recommendation then discuss with your gp.  The sooner you do it the better because if you and your gp choose to switch meds you will need to wean off the xr to prevent side effects.

Jenn

Heidi S.
on 9/27/12 11:45 pm - Sault Ste. Marie, Canada
 get it changed now ... I was told the same y the nurse but at my pre op appointment silly me listened to the pharmacist and didn't change it out therefore I was taken off of it the day of surgery cold turkey which as you know I am I sure you know is pure evil

Sometimes you just put one foot in front of the other, even if you don't know where you're going. 

Surgery Aug. 29, 2012 with the Wonderful Dr. Aarts at TEGH

Created by MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Monica M.
on 9/28/12 12:05 am - Penetanguishene, Canada

What works for other people may not work for you, talk to your pharmacist for reliable information about suitable replacement medications.

Donna E.
on 9/28/12 12:11 am - Richmond Hill, Canada
RNY on 08/16/12
 I asked the nut at TWH and she spoke to the py team, and then forward me the  recommended instructions for taking Effexor XR post surgery.  Good Luck

mermaidz
on 9/28/12 2:05 am - Brampton, Canada
On September 28, 2012 at 4:01 AM Pacific Time, allie_56 wrote:

During my appt. with the nurse, she said that medications that are extended release are not effective after the surgery. I taked Effexor XR (extend release). I will be discussing with my dr., but I am wondering if anybody is willing to share if they take an XR med. and what they are taking post surgery. Your info is appreciated!

Your stomach is rewired.

Talk to your surgeon and your pharmacist..

Especially the pharmacist. Before I had the surgery, I went in and had a consult with him and we reviewed the meds I take and the TON of vitamins that I would be taking. He was also able to tell me which are chewable, which ones might need to be replaced with something different etc. Luckily none needed to be switched

Worth your time :)

Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional.  

Most Active
Recent Topics