DS and it has been awhile

Nancy K.
on 10/5/12 11:30 am - Cornwall, Canada
Hi all,

It has been awhile since I have been on here, so I wanted to update you all.

I am due to have the second part of the DS Oct 12, 2012.  One week away.

Dr Gagner will be performing my surgry for the re-routing of my intestines, as I already have the sleeve.

I just wanted to come and let everyone know, that unless my lungs mis-behave I will be dser real soon.

Nancy
  JAN135 & CONNIE - Earthly  Angels 

BMI 71.44 -- Goal BMI 25.5    Old Weight--385    New --349 lbs   Goal weight is 135 

Weight  to lose is   243
sam1am
on 10/5/12 11:33 am
Wonderful news!  Good to see you Nancy!

Sandy                                           

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody  else up"                     

Mark Twain                                                       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCatAnimation One      

snowyowl
on 10/5/12 1:15 pm - Windsor, Canada
Hi,
Wishing you all the best,
Take care,
Nancy

HW- 280 SW - 230 CW - 134     
ShallowGirl
on 10/5/12 2:01 pm - Richmond Hill, Canada
RNY on 06/22/12
I don`t know what a DS is.  I know it stands for Duodenal switch, and I understand it follows a Vertical Sleeve G  (VSG) but, aside from that I devoted my research to RNY.

I wish you a happy surgery!

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams. Eleanor Roosevelt    

PatXYZ
on 10/6/12 12:20 am
The DS is a VSG stomach plus an intestinal rerouting that preserves the pylorus and a part of the duodenum which virtually eliminates dumping, reactive hypoglycaemia, and greatly reduces the incidence of anemia and other common RNY complications like ulcers. It has a much shorter part of the small intestine available for absorption of food and nutrients so it tends to result in much better and more sustained weightloss than the RNY, though for the same reasons it requires greater protein, vitamin and mineral supplementation to avoud deficiencies, especially of the fat soluble vitamins A and D. It is also the best surgery for resolving comorbidities, especially diabetes. It causes about 80% of the fat and 50% of the protein one eats to be malabsorbed so DSers must eat a high protein and high fat diet while avoiding simple carbs which are absorbed basically normally and can thwart weightloss.

This website has lots of great info about the DS: www.dsfacts.com
I had OHIP approved Duodenal Switch surgery with Dr. Dennis Hong at St. Joseph's Hamilton on March 7th, 2012. Want more information on the DS in Ontario? Send me a private message!
nata
on 10/5/12 3:54 pm - Ottawa, Canada
Hi Nancy,
Glad to see you around!
Good luck woth the surgery.
Nata, a very happy DSer!
Starting BMI - 62, current BMI - NORMAL!!!!!.

204 pounds lost!!!!
PatXYZ
on 10/6/12 12:13 am
Congrats Nancy! If you have any questions at all, especially about about the additional vitamins/minerals you'll need as a DSer please feel free to get in touch. Unfortunately, Dr. Gagner does not adequately prepare his patients for their needs post-op (though really, almost no surgeons do), so please feel free to get in touch with me anytime. Vitalady's website is an excellent place to get the Vitamin A, D and Iron that we need.

Good luck with the surgery and recovery. I'm sure this will be the best healthcare decision you have ever made! Congrats again!
I had OHIP approved Duodenal Switch surgery with Dr. Dennis Hong at St. Joseph's Hamilton on March 7th, 2012. Want more information on the DS in Ontario? Send me a private message!
Karen M.
on 10/6/12 5:19 am - Mississauga, Canada
Nancy, very glad to hear that you're having this done!  Best wishes to you.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Most Active
Recent Topics