Iron supplement??

NervousNelly57
on 10/18/12 5:49 am - Guelph, Canada
Proferrin has not caused me any problems with constipation or anything else.  I definitely feel more energetic since I started taking it about 6 months ago.  The best price I've seen is Costco, where it's about $50 for 90 tablets.

I won't know until my next bloodwork whether one tablet a day is enough to keep my levels up, but I certainly feel pretty good!

Sharon

Lorraine M.
on 10/18/12 8:24 am - Canada
 Hi,

I am taking feremax 150 . 2 capsules a day and they do not give constipation. I was taking the proferrin but my iron was still dropping so the cost of increasing the dosage when it was not working for me didnt make sense. I switched to feramax first one capsule and then up to 2 when i was having spine surgery. My next labs including iron storage were excellent (they said super optimized whatever that is but it is good). I just had my bloodwork (1 year post op) done so we shall have to see how it is doing. I feel great on the feramax so crossing fingers. It is something that we really need to keep a good eye on so we dont get deficient. I also bought both my proferrin and feramax from costco as they had the best prices.  Never heard of the herbal supplement you mentionned.

good luck!

tango123
on 10/18/12 10:19 am
OPPS my bad ..proferrin, not proefferin. dyslexic or what.
Has anyone heard of "polifer" (sp?)
mermaidz
on 10/18/12 12:56 pm - Brampton, Canada
On October 18, 2012 at 10:54 AM Pacific Time, tango123 wrote:
I have been told to take proefferin. Anybody else take this ,if so how do you feel. Also anyone take the herbal supplement florasil? I have heard this is gentler and was wondering if still effective enough to take instead of the proefferin.
Yes ..but it is called Floradix..

I took this during my pregnancy instead of those nasty prenate vits. It was far superior to anything else on the market. It is very gentle but it tastes totallly horrible! lol

It does not constipate you and you will begin to feel better within a week .. as opposed to the traditional iron supplements they hand you that take up to 3 weeks to get into your system.

It is perfectly safe to take and if you check the diet and nutrition section on this site, you will see it listed there with comments from other WLS pts.

You can find it in a health food store..

Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional.  

Mary A.
on 10/18/12 10:51 pm

That's what I love about this board is the willingness to share information.

I will jot a couple of those names down and maybe it's time fo rme to look elsewhere because the suggested brands/varities of the chemist at our health food store that is quite knowledgeable about RNY and bariatric surgery, absorption etc...well he's had his chance...and then again maybe I am one of those people it just won't work for.

But thanks again~!

prior to surgery 323lbs....4 years post-op maintaining between 108- 114 lb loss. 

life is AMAZING when you continue on the right path~!.  Use your surgeons gift to the fullest~!

Mary
surgery done in Duluth, MN

Most Active
Recent Topics