reflux

lisxav
on 11/10/12 6:57 am - Canada

i was just wondering if anyone else has acid reflux.  i'm 3 weeks post-op never had  it before (except when pregnant) bu****er especially seems to cause it.

PatXYZ
on 11/10/12 7:05 am

Are you not taking a PPI? It is standard to take a Proton Pump Inhibitor after surgery for at least 3-6 months to prevent acid symptoms and ulcers.

Did you have VSG? Acid reflux is a fairly common short-term complication that should subside after the sleeve stretches out a bit and can be controlled until then with medications. If night-time acid reflux is a problem your doctor may prescribe a second medication to help control acid at night, called a H2 Receptor Antagonist. This is a more rare complication with RNY.

I had OHIP approved Duodenal Switch surgery with Dr. Dennis Hong at St. Joseph's Hamilton on March 7th, 2012. Want more information on the DS in Ontario? Send me a private message!
JJ_
on 11/10/12 7:46 am

Talk with your bariatric centre and if you find that it is so bad (pain wise) - go to the emergency room at the hospital where you had surgery.  Let them know that you had surgery 3 weeks earlier.

I didn`t have issues with acid reflux either before surgery nor after (no meds).

Judy

Most Active
Recent Topics