post op drugs

RufusLynx
on 12/8/12 2:06 am - Canada

Hiya folks.. haven't posted much here but I've been reading....

So, i went through the "big three" appointments and one of them, I think the Nutritionist, showed me a sheet of the post op drugs I would needing, whi*****luded the blood thinner injectibles, the vitamins and so on.

She suggested I buy them at the hospital pharmacy, but I suspect I will get much better prices at my local pharmacy, particularly since I am a senior and qualify for some reduced costs.

Do you know how much the blood thinner will cost?

I forget what other drugs were going to be prescribed but if you have any info about this, I would happy to hear from you.

Thanks

Referred: August 8, 2012. - Referral to HRRH  Dr. Hagan Dec 20 - Surgery scheduled for April 16, 2013! Surgery completed and I`m doing fine!

Hannahmumma03
on 12/8/12 2:35 am - Oshawa Ontario, Canada

At TWH they just sent me home with a script for Percocets(haven't had to use them yet and my surgery was Nov. 29th!) and get some stool softener(Colace). I got them at the pharmacy that we deal with for all our scripts. Blood thinner was given while I was in the hospital...that's what they do at TWH.

Christie

Referral August 18th 2011               Orientation Dec 7th 2011
SW Jan 12 2012                                  Nurse Jan 12 2012
Nut. Class Feb 8th 2012                  Psych  May 16th 2012
Dietician May 16th 2012                   Meet The Surgeon Sept 21 2012
PATTS: November 19th 2012           Surgery: November 29th 2012

My Angel is: Brenda T. 

(deactivated member)
on 12/8/12 2:40 am - Bumfuknowhere, Canada

I remember some old threads where HRRH patients said they had to get heparin shots to continue giving themselves when they left the hospital.  I remember the cost being about $200 but of course that is is you are self-pay.  No idea how much the seniors pay but if you have the paper with the name on it, you could go into your pharmacy and ask what your portion will be.

gimpymom
on 12/8/12 2:55 am

I had my surgery in Aug. 2012 at HRRH and the blood thinner -Tinzaparin Sodium was $193.65. Pre op they couldn't give me a dose to ask my local pharmacy - as it was all weight dependent. It came in 8 nicely preloaded syringes and it was easy to administer.

The other meds I bought locally for a much reduced rate. so it is good to do your homework. If you have to fill your script at the hosp. just ask them to do 1-2 weeks worth and then fill the balance at your own pharmacy.Ask Dr Glazer or your Surgeon for a script before hand or phone it in and you could buy it first...good luck on your journey!!

Johanna

referral  Nov 23, 2011 orientation Dec 16   PATT Aug 9 OR DATE Aug. 20, 2012 ACHIEVED CLINIC GOAL Feb. 2013

RufusLynx
on 12/8/12 3:39 am - Canada

Ok, thanks for your help...

I asked my local pharmacy, but he could not quote me a price, because its all based on the dose... similarly, he could not tell me if it falls within the seniors program, again because he needs the actual prescription to figure that out!

GGGrrrrr

Ah well, I'll just buy it at the hospital.

Thanks for all your help folks.

Referred: August 8, 2012. - Referral to HRRH  Dr. Hagan Dec 20 - Surgery scheduled for April 16, 2013! Surgery completed and I`m doing fine!

2mar
on 12/8/12 3:45 am
RNY on 09/20/12

everybody is different - I am older as well and had had a DVT after a prior surgery - so as a precaution I had to inject myself 30 days after I left the hospital.

I had no pain killers - did not need it.

The other one I got was Prevacid. (this comes in 2 forms - a less and more expensive form - same drug but it dissolves differently)

Ask Dr Glazer and Dr. Hagen what they think you will be on post - op . Once you have that info call the HRRH pharmacy and then call your own.

Then they will give you scripts for once you go home.

I did pick up a bit at the HRRH pharmacy (D/C on a Saturday) and the rest I picked up at my own pharmacy. They will pheone each other and transfer the prescriptions.

Do your homework beforehand , as you are doing, but speak to the "2 in charge first- LOL) Dr. Hagen and Glazer.

Good luck

Judge your success by what you had to give up in order to get it.

zephie
on 12/8/12 3:56 am - Moose Factory, Canada

Welcome to another Senior ...good to know others my age are working towards getting WLS and healthy!!

Orientation - Feb. 19 & 20/13 - NP,Nut, Psych, - Mar. 14/13 - Sleep Study - Mar. 24/13 - OTN with Dr. Sullivan - June 28/13  On my way!!! Preop Sept 25/13  -  SURGERY OCTOBER 22/13!!!!!!!!

It's not how you start this life...it's how well you finish it...& I plan to finish it with gusto!!!!

RufusLynx
on 12/8/12 4:18 am - Canada

Thanks...

One of the surgeons, implied that because I was 65, I may not qualify...the way i look at it, is that actuarial tables say that i will live to 83...so if i have WLS i have 17 years of healthy living ahead of me...well worth the risks.

zephie
on 12/8/12 4:48 am - Moose Factory, Canada

For sure!!!...the squeekie wheel gets the grease...keep being confident...good health should not be denied on account of age...unless there are major health probs that might put someone is real danger getting WLS...best of luck on your journey!!

Orientation - Feb. 19 & 20/13 - NP,Nut, Psych, - Mar. 14/13 - Sleep Study - Mar. 24/13 - OTN with Dr. Sullivan - June 28/13  On my way!!! Preop Sept 25/13  -  SURGERY OCTOBER 22/13!!!!!!!!

It's not how you start this life...it's how well you finish it...& I plan to finish it with gusto!!!!

Most Active
Recent Topics