barley, rice, etc

RufusLynx
on 12/8/12 4:36 am - Canada

I am still pre op and thoroughly enjoy some of my wife's great home made soup. Chicken with veggies and barley.

I know that rice is a nono post op, what is your experience with barley?

Referred: August 8, 2012. - Referral to HRRH  Dr. Hagan Dec 20 - Surgery scheduled for April 16, 2013! Surgery completed and I`m doing fine!

(deactivated member)
on 12/8/12 4:42 am - Straford, Canada

I eat brown, mahogany and wild rice.  Its a matter of moderation and part of your overall eating plan.  Its easier for guys to fit in than gals (our calorie counts are higher too).  I have made soup with barley, my recipe only called for a third cup for the whole soup so each serving had maybe a couple of tablespoons.  

sam1am
on 12/8/12 5:27 am

In a big pot of soup, I'll probably put in a quarter to a third of a cup of uncooked barley in, so like Ian says, in an individual bowl you will get at most a couple of spoonfuls.  I love the taste and the texture of barley!

Sandy                                           

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody  else up"                     

Mark Twain                                                       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCatAnimation One      

(deactivated member)
on 12/8/12 10:05 am - Peterborough, Canada
RNY on 10/19/12

I also love barley it adds a kind of creaminess to the taste.

ShallowGirl
on 12/8/12 9:38 pm - Richmond Hill, Canada
RNY on 06/22/12

I developed an intolerance for gluten post surgery - blew my mind - so pastas in soups were out - but barley was definitely OK.

I also eat mushy rice = well cooked rice.  Rice in soup should be fine.  (al dente rice expands in your stomach causing pain).

They are carbs, so moderation is the key, but you can eat them.  

You may want to ask your wife to cook the rice separately from the soup, then you can add only the amount you want in your bowl.

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams. Eleanor Roosevelt    

Most Active
Recent Topics