Dr Hagen Wong give me VSG :-(

kucletsa
on 12/18/12 2:15 am - Canada
I did all my pre-op appointments. Now at a dead end. I only want the VSG! So frustrating. I don't like the fact that the dietician tried to talk me out of even having any surgery. Kept telling me I can do this on my own?! If I could. I would have! Sorry just needed to vent. I see all the success on fb and just want the same kinda life! I won't do RNY. I DON'T want dumping and I want NSAID options and would like to keep my pyloric valve
REF SENT: DEC 2011  ORIENTATION: APRIL 19TH, 2012!!!!    
kucletsa
on 12/18/12 2:15 am - Canada
OOPS. MEANT *Wont. Not Wong lol
REF SENT: DEC 2011  ORIENTATION: APRIL 19TH, 2012!!!!    
cutekatie
on 12/18/12 2:43 am
RNY on 05/16/12

Not everyone dumps with RNY and if you are following the proper nutrition plan for the rest of your life you shouldn't ever dump anyways.  In regards to NSAIDS that I can understand if you have a medical condition that requires that on a regular basis. As others have said you can have NSAIDS occasionally without any problem.  Not sure why you want to keep your pyloric valve.

Why do you think you won't have success with RNY? 

HW 282 OW 273 SW 247 CW 232

nata
on 12/18/12 3:11 am - Ottawa, Canada

Wait for a few years, when you pass out due to hypoglycemia, you'll understand "why you want to keep your pyloric valve".

Nata, a very happy DSer!
Starting BMI - 62, current BMI - NORMAL!!!!!.

204 pounds lost!!!!
NorthernStar
on 12/18/12 2:54 am - London, Canada
RNY on 06/25/12

Did Dr Hagen give you a reason he won't perform a VSG?

*Lindsey*

Keeping off 133 lbs since 2012!

Referral to Bariatric Registry: May 2011   /   Surgery (HRRH): June 25, 2012         

Aca-Verity
on 12/18/12 2:58 am - Canada
VSG on 06/06/12

You need to ask for a "second opinion", which I believe is your right and, other ppl have requested this.  Perhaps you don't (?) have any medical conditions that currently require the use of NSAIDS but, if you are a fairly "young" person....who knows what you may become afflicted with, later in life, that will require them (ie Osteo-arthritis, etc)  If you don't have any current NSAID needs, you probably won't get the sleeve tho' (IMHO).  Do you have any Family history of problematic conditions?  Might possibly help.

Good Luck!

Verity

nata
on 12/18/12 3:05 am - Ottawa, Canada

Demand second opinion. Hamilton and TWH are still reasonable about the choice. Anyway, fighting over a "virgin" VSG is eaiser than fighting for a revision.

Don't sign RnY paperwork! just keep bugging them and complaining in writing and demanding second opinion. Write to OHIP, to MPP, to Ombudsman. So sick of Hagen pushing RnY on everyone... What he is thinking he's god? can decide for everyone? Hope somebody kicks his a$$ like Ruthy did the Dent's one, with warning on the record with college.

Your other option is Montreal selfpay - around 15 K or Mexico - around 9K, all inclusive. A friend of mine had VSG in Mexico three years ago and was very happy with both - quality of service and results. Personally, I wouldn't give up my pyloric valve for a million dollars - I know hypoglycemia first hand, thanks, NO MORE.

Nata, a very happy DSer!
Starting BMI - 62, current BMI - NORMAL!!!!!.

204 pounds lost!!!!
(deactivated member)
on 12/18/12 3:10 am - Bumfuknowhere, Canada

Since you went through HRRH, I would ask to have a 2nd surgical consult with one of the surgeons at St. Joe's Toronto.  They are in network with HRRH but their surgeons seem more open to patient choice for a VSG.

Onward and
Downward

on 12/18/12 4:13 am - Canada
RNY on 11/07/12

That's really weird that a dietitian in a bariatric program would try to convince an obese patient to try to lose weight on her own.  Does s/he think we all haven't tried that a hundred times before?

Referral to registry: Oct 21, 2011    Orientation (TWH): Feb 22, 2012     Surgery: Nov 7, 2012

Come to Toronto East End Coffee Nights! Click here for details.

Nanato2
on 12/18/12 6:44 am, edited 12/18/12 6:45 am - Canada
VSG on 02/12/13

So sorry keep trying.

Do you meet any of the requirements for a VSG because OHIP will only pay for RNY unless you meet one of the requirements for a VSG.  

I am also not aware of any doctor performing a VSG just because you want one without having at least one of the requirements but maybe I am wrong. Maybe the people who have had a VSG on the board can comment on that.

I am having a VSG at TWH but I have medical conditions that makes it the only options for me and I do know of others at TWH who have been refused a VSG because they did not have at least one of the requirements.

Referral- March 2012, Letter April 19, Orientation TWH- June 6, NP - July 3, Sleep Apena test July 16, Internist and SW  - July 17, Nutritional class - July 23, Dietician appt. July 30th, Psych-Social appt - Aug 20th. Follow up with doctor sleep apena Aug. 28th  Surgeons appt. - Dec. 14th Dr. Jackson. Surgery date - Feb 12 2013 - VSG