So... Never thought I'd be asking THIS question

Onward and
Downward

on 1/12/13 12:34 pm, edited 1/12/13 12:38 pm - Canada
RNY on 11/07/12

I'm no expert on this, but I can tell you what we were told at our 1 month post-op nutrition class at TWH.  (This used to be an appointment, but I think they did it as a class because they were getting backlogged, and then we met one by one with the NP afterwards.)

We were told that by around 3 months, we should be eating between 900-1000 calories per month.  Gasps were heard around the room, because at 1 month out, and just barely transitioning from purees to soft food, most of us could only get in around 500-600 calories a day, on good days.

We were also told that if we do measure calories, that we should ensure that a third of our calories come from protein, a third from fat, and a third from carbs.  I was surprised at that - I figured the protein would be heavier, and I'll bet that advice varies from dietitian to dietitian.  But I've been doing that, and getting good results, although I don't worry if I go over my percentage target for protein and under for one or both of the others.

But lo and behold, on good days now, at slightly over 2 months out, I do manage to get a little over 800 calories a day.  I think one day I reached 900 calories, and that was a great day.  So I hover between 650 (on really bad days) to 850 (on really good days), and I lose more on the higher calorie days than the lower ones, strangely enough.

I completely agree with what Barb wrote above.

This said - I'm not experiencing pain when I walk for exercise, so that's a difference between us.  I find I exercise more when I eat more, because I have more energy.  But I'd say if you're losing weight still, then you're probably doing all right.  But I'd check with your dietitian too, just to make sure.

Edited to add: I also agree that we don't really need to focus on our calories right now, just our protein intake.  But since I'm using My Fitness Pal to track my protein, I do like to see how many calories I'm having, as well as fat and carbs. 

What I'm finding is that I'm getting more realistic about carbs, and not so terrified of them as I was right after surgery.  I'm still careful, but I'm not, for instance, avoiding fruit, or avoiding all grain products.  I'm eating them all in moderation, either after or with my protein (e.g. sometimes I'll eat a bite of cheese and half a grape at the same time), tracking them, and balancing them out. 

I'm also finding that I don't have to eat, for instance, really low fat cheese all the time.  I can occasionally have some brie or blue cheese with fruit and wheat thins, as long as I only have an ounce or less of the cheese (which is very filling with this surgery), and then I can choose the light babybels and lean protein most of the time otherwise.  And this is helping me get my calories up over 800 per day, which is helping my metabolism not shut down into starvation mode.

I'm finding it so interesting, getting to know what effect different levels of protein, carbs, and fat (and the combinations of them) have on my weight loss, my energy levels, and my overall feeling of health.  It's such a learning process!  And it's so great to be able to eat stuff that I like, in such small quantities, and be satisfied with it!  This surgery is such an amazing tool that way - to be physiologically full after eating less than an ounce of cheese, when I used to eat half the wheel of brie or an entire hunk of blue cheese at a time?  I would never have been able to imagine it before surgery.

Referral to registry: Oct 21, 2011    Orientation (TWH): Feb 22, 2012     Surgery: Nov 7, 2012

Come to Toronto East End Coffee Nights! Click here for details.

mermaidz
on 1/12/13 11:31 pm - Brampton, Canada

What a great response, Onward!. I know we got a book from HRRH too and do you think I can find it?

From another lifetime, I know that your body does need carbs/calories to exercise and that puts WLS folks into a wee state of panic. But the more "power" you give your body, the better. Obviously at some point along the line we got off track with the food and gained weight.  But if you don't have them, you feel lousy and weak with not much energy.  I so envy those who can run and exercise. I really do.

I do let my physiotherapist weigh me-she gets a kick out of seeing the scales drop but the deal is she doesn't tell me.. lol and I've also explained to her about "stalls" and she shouldn't be alarmed if the numbers don't drop for a while

I'm feeling re-assured by all the great answers. It's especially hard when you can't really move very much and of course, I get a bit anxious from time to time like anyone else.

So thank you.. so very much!

Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional.  

Onward and
Downward

on 1/13/13 1:53 am - Canada
RNY on 11/07/12

You are so welcome!  You know, it helps me get it straight in my own head when I write out novel-length posts like that too, so you've helped me figure some stuff out too. :)

I hope you're able to find a way to overcome the pain at some point.  I was really worried about not being able to take pain meds after surgery, but as it turns out, I haven't had a migraine post-surgery (used to get one or two a week before surgery), and I've discovered that my period cramps can be relieved with Midol, which is Tylenol-based.  I don't know what I'd do if I were in pain all the time as you seem to be.

Good luck!

Referral to registry: Oct 21, 2011    Orientation (TWH): Feb 22, 2012     Surgery: Nov 7, 2012

Come to Toronto East End Coffee Nights! Click here for details.

mermaidz
on 1/13/13 12:25 am - Brampton, Canada

"The majority of people plenty of weight on the diet"

You know,  I can "gap" all by myself.

Sentences like this will confuse me for days.

but I'm glad you're feeling better Pinkie! lmao

(more Tramadol please)

Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional.