Deciding Goal Weights

pinkjellybean
on 1/21/13 10:35 pm, edited 1/21/13 10:36 pm - Canada
VSG on 01/25/12

When you have been successful with WLS how do you decide what your final goal should be.  I am 7-8 pounds to a healthy BMI which is 164 and I plan to lose an additional 14 pounds from there to be 150 (This would give me a BMI of 22.8).  I know the  BMI charts are hogwash but humour me a bit here.  For my height the healthy weight range is 122- 164 pounds.  That is a huge space and I am wondering how do you decide when enough is enough when you don't' have a good concept of your own body image.  We are all no strangers to some of the body-dysmorphia stuff that goes on in our heads and how psychologically it can take longer for your brain to catch up to what is actually physically happening with your body.  So how do you decide when to stop.  Do you go by a feeling in your gut?  Do I get to 150 and assess if that feels good physically?  If it doesn't do I go to 140?  Is that too skinny?  I plan to talk with my team at my one year follow-up appointments next week but I am always curious about the opinions of you folks too.

SURGERY at Toronto Western Hospital - VSG JANUARY 25th, 2012!!

5'9 - HW - 390 SW - 368.8  GW - 150

Karen M.
on 1/21/13 10:38 pm - Mississauga, Canada

I didn't decide, my body did. And it keeps changing it's freakin' mind. Today I'm back in the 130's after being 140 for sooooo long. It also wanted to be in the 20's a couple of years ago, then changed it's mind yet again. You'll know when you're done. Your body will tell you.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

pinkjellybean
on 1/21/13 10:41 pm - Canada
VSG on 01/25/12
On January 22, 2013 at 6:38 AM Pacific Time, Karen M. wrote:

I didn't decide, my body did. And it keeps changing it's freakin' mind. Today I'm back in the 130's after being 140 for sooooo long. It also wanted to be in the 20's a couple of years ago, then changed it's mind yet again. You'll know when you're done. Your body will tell you.

Thanks Karen.  That's what I am hoping for.  I know at this point despite everyone is saying that 170-172 looks awesome on me and people refer to  me with words like "lean, skinny, and thin" BUT and it's a big BUT....I don't feel like I am done and my body doesn't feel done.  I use the analogy of the training and preparing to run a marathon then running the race....would you let yourself stop 3 feet from the finish line and say I've done enough I can stop now OR would you keep going, cross the finish line, and accomplish everything you set out to do in the first place.  I feel pretty confident about at least getting off the 7-8 pounds to 164 and then whatever happens after that is gravy. 

Karen M.
on 1/21/13 10:46 pm - Mississauga, Canada

I understand what you're saying.  Honestly, I didn't "try" to lose weight, I just went by my body's plan for itself. Now, if I had gone too low, which I did at 128 pounds, then I would have done something about it. It was all very relaxed and good.

Personally, I think you look fabulous at the weight you're at.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

kellybelly333
on 1/21/13 10:47 pm - Toronto, Canada

Here's the short answer....I don't think you do know, until you get there.

Here's the long answer...

I had a goal weight of 135, simply because that put me in the healthy BMI range...JUST. I never dreamed I would get there. Then I wanted to see 100 pounds off, so I changed it to 131. That took a long time for me to achieve. But I was ecstatic to see it. And then with running, I dropped to 128. I'm back up to 130, but I always gain at this time of the month, so i'm not bothered by that anymore.

With that said. I think I feel my best at 130-131. It's amazing how, at this weight, even a few pounds can make a difference. The last few pounds all left me in the wrong places LOL. My boobs, face and arms. (i'm sure it did elsewhere, but so noticeable in these places).  

And...with THAT said, I know that I will feel differently after I have my panni surgery. I still look in the mirror and wonder HOW I can be 128 pounds and look this fat. It's not fat, it's skin, and it squishes quite nicely into pants and such...but nekkid, not good.

Many vets talk about regain of around 10 pounds, after malabsorption is kaput. I was "okay" at 138, and I suppose if my body decides to get there, no matter WHAT I do, then i'm happy.

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

pinkjellybean
on 1/21/13 10:56 pm - Canada
VSG on 01/25/12
On January 22, 2013 at 6:47 AM Pacific Time, kellybelly333 wrote:

Here's the short answer....I don't think you do know, until you get there.

Here's the long answer...

I had a goal weight of 135, simply because that put me in the healthy BMI range...JUST. I never dreamed I would get there. Then I wanted to see 100 pounds off, so I changed it to 131. That took a long time for me to achieve. But I was ecstatic to see it. And then with running, I dropped to 128. I'm back up to 130, but I always gain at this time of the month, so i'm not bothered by that anymore.

With that said. I think I feel my best at 130-131. It's amazing how, at this weight, even a few pounds can make a difference. The last few pounds all left me in the wrong places LOL. My boobs, face and arms. (i'm sure it did elsewhere, but so noticeable in these places).  

And...with THAT said, I know that I will feel differently after I have my panni surgery. I still look in the mirror and wonder HOW I can be 128 pounds and look this fat. It's not fat, it's skin, and it squishes quite nicely into pants and such...but nekkid, not good.

Many vets talk about regain of around 10 pounds, after malabsorption is kaput. I was "okay" at 138, and I suppose if my body decides to get there, no matter WHAT I do, then i'm happy.

Thanks Kelly!  I was hoping you would chime in because like you I've taken up running in the past couple of months.  I have entered a 5K and a 10K race in the spring and I also plan to do the Oasis Zoo Run 10K in september....after that I think I am going to dig my heels in and start training for a half marathon.  I anticipate as I work through these runs and prepare for them that I will continue to lose weight - it's inevitable I think.  I have a ton of lose skin - it disgusts me to look at and I definitely think that contributes to that omg I am still fat feeling but I am not sure when I will be able to have the skin removed if ever at this point so it's something I am going to have to sort out for myself.  More than anything I wish I could have a new belly and new boobs......I can get past the arms and the thighs but the belly and boobs combined gives me this "sigh" feeling - of course I know it's far better than what I was at 390 pounds and my husband doesn't say a peep about it so I am fortunate that he is supportive.  I don't have the malabsorption to worry about given my VSG surgery but I do worry about that regain bounce back.

kellybelly333
on 1/21/13 11:08 pm - Toronto, Canada

LOL, I thought about the malabsorption after I hit Send. Duh...VSG!! However, VSGers can have regain as well. So can DSers, so really, that comment I made there doesn't really matter lol

Seriously though, the weight i'm at right now is good for me. I like being in the Normal BMI (even though it's just a number and some doctors don't even go by it). It feels healthy here. I have a feeling that once my panni is removed, and I get back into training (not that i've stopped now, I mean after surgery) I have a feeling I might drop a bit again. But that's during training. What my body ends up on the off season (if there is one...lol....addicted to running and all...) who knows? As long as I don't gain a tonne from here, i'm good.

It's actually quite freeing to say that. I've been struggling with numbers and body dysmorphia for so long, that it's nice to actually and HONESTLY say that i'm happy here. Finally!

And....to the vets out there....yes you told me so!! LOL. Almost everyone said it took at least two years for their heads to catch up to their bodies (for those who had issues).

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

cayleighsmom
on 1/21/13 11:24 pm
RNY on 06/05/12

kelly, your new avatr is GREAT!!! you look amazing and your smile is huge!! way to go

kellybelly333
on 1/21/13 11:29 pm - Toronto, Canada

Awww, thanks!

I was at a WLS summer party outside Peterborough. Not many places i'm comfortable in a bathing suit. But that's what's fun about a WLS party...no judging on my saggy thighs.

(deactivated member)
on 1/22/13 8:11 am - Peterborough, Canada
RNY on 10/19/12

You look like one sexy broad.

Most Active
Recent Topics