Full Fluids Question

allie_56
on 3/11/13 12:30 am - Canada
RNY on 03/05/13

Question for Guelph Clinic clients - Dr. P.H. said I could start full fluids stage one week after surgery. Not that I am questioning her, but could I have some feedback on when others at Guelph started full fluids. I may also try to contact the clinic today for info, but would appreciate your info too

Regards

Alice

Diminishing Dawn
on 3/11/13 12:48 am - Windsor, Canada

Different doctors have different philosophies depending in where try were trained.   The centers vary quite a bit in protocols.   Not jus here in Ontario but around the world.  

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

Nicole B.
on 3/11/13 1:41 am - Canada

Nice! She didn't say anything about the transition to full fluids to me, and honestly, I'm not ready for it!  I can't drink anything other than the watered down juice and water... the texture of jello isn't working for me and the broth I LOVED so much during opti is turning my little tummy :(

I'd just give the clinic a call and ask.... happy sipping ;)

Referral: April 2011 to GGH Info: 12/6/14 Nurse: 12/8/17SW: 12/8/17  Diet/Nut: 12/8/17 2nd Nurse: 12/10/4  2nd SW: 12/10/4  2nd Diet/Nut: 12/10/4  Internist: 12/10/12  3rd SW: 12/10/26  3rd Diet/Nut: 12/10/26  Nutrition Class: 12/11/27  Surgeon: 13/2/7 Opti Fast: 13/2/18 Pre-Op: 13/2/28  Surgery Date: 13/3/5 Dr Pereira-Hong

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

allie_56
on 3/11/13 11:17 am - Canada
RNY on 03/05/13

Hi Nicole

I asked Dr. P. H. when full fluids could start, because the book I have had some conflicting info. I am feeling super great and the clear fluids are going down well. I am able to walk a lot.  The clinic said they are discussing changing the transition  from 2 wks to one wk., but it is not a formal change yet. She said just to start very slow. Hope things start getting better soon for you. I guess I am just worried I am not getting any nutrients into my body and need some energy.

Take Care

Alice

Alice-58_.
on 3/11/13 5:05 am
VSG on 02/26/13

I am Day #13 post op VSG, Guelph Dr Jules Foute Nelong. I am still on the Guelph Bariatric Clinic's diet instruction of clear  fluids. Day #14 (tomorrow), I get to bump up to full fluids. I am ready but must say I wouldn't have been a week out like yourself. Definitely listen to what the clinic tells you. The previous poster was so right. From reading this site for years, every hospital/clinic, every surgeon has their own recipe for diet increases. I would say Guelph is being very cautious which suits me fine. We have just had major surgery even if we only have little holes in our abdomen to show for it. Slow and cautious.

Live near Bayfield. Referral June 2011 to Windsor Bariatric Referral Center. July asked to be transferred to Guelph as closer but file got lost..  Orientation Nov 2011, Guelph. Nurse,Nut and SW X3 mid 2012. Surgeon Dec 2012. VGS Surgery Feb 26 2013 Dr Jules Guelph

Cindyloowho
on 3/11/13 5:33 am - London, Canada

I just got out of the hospital yesterday after having my surgery and seen her before I left and she never mentioned anything to me about the diet at all, I was just going to follow the diet they gave me I see her in 3.5 weeks anyway.  God luck

Surgery - Mar 8, 2013             

Goal Weight - 145  Surgery Weight - 228  Current Weight - 132

Dar_Mab
on 3/11/13 6:38 am - Kitchener, ON, Canada
RNY on 03/08/13

Wow I can't believe that 2 surgeons at the same clinic can tell you different things.  Dr Jules Foute-Nelong told me 13 days on the clear fluids and day of surgery is day 0.   So I had my surgery on the 8th so I can't start full fluids until the 22nd.       That way the same info the pre-surgery nutrition class.  As well while in hospital they gave me a video to watch and it was all about the diet during the stages and it repeated again day 14 you can start on full fluids.

If in doubt I would call the clinic and ask the nutritionist.

HW: 305   SW: 272  CW: 155  Height: 5'4"

allie_56
on 3/11/13 11:09 am - Canada
RNY on 03/05/13

I did call the clinic and spoke to Nancy (nutritionist). She said they are discussing changing the timing from 2 wks to one wk. it has not been formally communicated yet, but it Dr. P.H. said it was ok, it is ok. I feel great and the clear fluids are going well. She said to just start very slow. Also, the book I have the complete weight loss surgery book, written by a nutritionist from St. Joes in Hamilton shows clear fluids for only 2 days from surgery, which I thought was too soon. They did not give me the video to watch in the hospital. It seems there are a lot of different opinions at Guelph right now, even with the surgeons. Even in the hospital - should let all bariatric patients see the video. I will start slow, and if it doesn't work, back to clear fluids.

Thanks.

Alice

debralight
on 3/11/13 11:48 am - Canada

When i went through Humber had Full fluids(FF) starting two days after surgery. So the earlier start date for FF puts Guelph in line with some of the other centres for the start of FF.

Sometimes the best support  you can get isn't all purple puddles and pink rainbows.

Tom R.
on 3/11/13 5:21 pm - Lindsay, Canada
VSG on 02/26/13

I also went through Humber and started full fluids as soon as I was discharged (ie. 2 days after surgery).

~ Tom

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Most Active
Recent Topics