New to this whole thing....and needing support !!!!

ArleneAnne
on 4/8/13 3:50 am - Oakville, Canada

Greetings........I have only just made the decision to have surgery, so am looking for all the support and information that I can have......would love to chat/correspond with others in Ontario who have recently had surgery.....which did you decide to have?....Why?......what is it like now?......etc.....etc   indecision

squidget
on 4/8/13 5:05 am

Hello ArleneAnne

I just had RNY surgery on Februay 21.  I'm doing very well and have lost 36 pounds to date.  And I feel amazing - wish I'd made this decision years ago.

Keep reading the threads on this forum and you'll learn, learn, learn.  The people here are wonderful and supportive.

Feel free to ask any specific questions!

Jo-Anne

(deactivated member)
on 4/8/13 5:21 am - Straford, Canada

Welcome AA!  There is a blue bar across the top of the page, with search as one of its options.  That can be used to research all kinds of posts from the past.  As Many topics come up time and time again it might be a good tool to get used to using imo.  

OHIP promotes RNY surgery as the gold standard and you have to have some medically feasible reasons for being selected for other options and as you can read in past posts there are some surgeons more likely to do non RNY surgeries and others not.  

I began this process with a size 55 waist, on my way to high cholesterol and high blood pressure and my ticker was acting wanky.  Sleep apnea and chronic fatique were my life.  After 10 months I am over 110 pounds lighter, size 34 waist, no sleep apnea and lots of energy, can run 5 km (without needing cardiac care) and am in a very good spot in life.  

Enjoy the ride, the destination ain't all its cracked up to be!  

Monica M.
on 4/8/13 5:45 am - Penetanguishene, Canada

Welcome to OH!! We're pretty friendly here, ask us anything, and you'll get a response from someone.

I had RNY two years ago, i wish i had done it years ago, as i'd been obese since after i was pregnant with twins. i've lost about 130lbs, its definitely a challenge at this point, to stick to the plan, but i exercise fairly regularly and that seems to keep me going.

Monica

Catw
on 4/8/13 5:55 am - Arnprior, Canada

Hi AA,

As Monica said, if you have questions, ask, someone usually has an answer.  Most on here have had RNY, as it's the standard.  I had mine almost 2 years ago (it'll be 2 years on June 27th).  Don't be too shy, there are people on this site at all stages, from just starting like yourself to seasoned vets (10 years + out).  There are a lot of steps to go through to get to the surgery, it's a big hurry up and wait game, so you'll need lots of patience.  But the time you have in between will help you prepare yourself for the new life that you have chosen.  You'll also see some new terms that are not in normal forums like NSV (non-scale victory) and SF (Sugar Free) and things like that.  If you don't understand, just ask. 

You'll also see that we share all victories, and support when you need it.  And we don't have anniversaries of our surgery, it's surgeversaries.  Also, there are a number of support groups/coffee nights that get posted.  Keep an eye out for one in your area, they are good to go to, even at this stage of your journey.

What you are signing up for is a tool, not a miracle.  I've lost around 140 lbs.  A lot of good habits have formed, but I still have to watch for the bad ones sneaking in, which they occasionally do.  But I pick myself up and try to get back on track.

This will be a wonderful journey, and I hope you the best.  There will be lots of ups and downs, but keep up in here, and you won't be alone going through it.

Cathy

moniquesgettingft
on 4/8/13 5:58 am - Scarborough Ontario, Canada

Welcome I am somewhat new too.. But have gone through all the testing except the last set of PATTS I am going to do tomorrow. So far everyone has been very nice and helpful so welcome again.... 

(deactivated member)
on 4/8/13 7:00 am - Peterborough, Canada
RNY on 10/19/12

Hi Arlene Anne, I am almost 6 months out from surgery. I had RNY  have lost 83 pounds. It is a wonderful gift but as others have said it is only a tool. It is not easy but it is easier because you do see faster results.

The choice in Ontario of which surgery is just lapband or Gastric bypass. If you choose Gastric bypass the surgeon will tell you what surgery you can have and in Ontario it is mostly RNY. You would have to make a really good case for any other.

Good Luck on your Journey. There is lost of great folks here and reading all of the threads will give you a great idea what to expect.      

Diminishing Dawn
on 4/8/13 7:52 am - Windsor, Canada

Welcome!

You'll find lovely people here. Read everything you can get your hands on.  You'll learn far more here than you will through most programs.  They do a great job at the Centres but you just don't have the time for info because they are so busy.  Learn, reach out, message people.  If I can help you in any way, message me. I'm almost 7 years out.

Dawn

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

JJ_
on 4/8/13 1:25 pm

Welcome to the forum.  It depends on which centre you are going through as to some of the rules to follow, timelines, etc.  Where do you live and which centre of bariatrics will you be referred to?

Judy - in Ottawa

Most Active
Recent Topics