What to eat pre-op?

melpd
on 5/1/13 11:11 pm

Hello, I am new to this forum and love reading your posts.  I am awaiting my bariatric surgery.  I had a nutrition consult and it ended up not showing me anything new.  I have been told to drink lots of fluids and eat a well balanced meal for lunch and supper.   I have no idea anymore as to what to eat. I really need ideas as to what to eat for lunches, breakfast and also what to drink.  I am an avid pop and juice lover but was told to only drinik a little.  I have to drink 2L per day and I am not supposed to drink crystal light?  Not sure why, but was told no.

Can you please help me find menu's or give me ideas as to what to drink and eat.  I don't like water that much. and well, I just don't know what else to eat.

Thank you kindly, Melanie

Surgery is going to be scheduled within the next 6-8 weeks or so.

Larbac66
on 5/2/13 1:09 am - Canada

Hi Melanie I too am waiting for my surgery (getting close). My understanding is I am to drink optifast 2 weeks before surgery, just the optifast and clear liquids. Then 2 days before surgery stop the optifast and only clear fluids till midnight before day of surgery. Hope that helps, good luck!

Needanewbeginning
on 5/2/13 1:28 am, edited 5/2/13 1:28 am - Barrie, Canada
RNY on 05/21/13

Every centre is different. Mine HRRH has patients on opti for anywhere from two-four weeks, depends on your starting weight. You do opti right up to your surgery. 

Not heard of anyone here being told not to have crystal light, but again sounds like your centre has different process. You need to follow what they give you and I am sure you will be given more details as you approach your date.

Good luck enlightened

Annette

Starting weight: 334 lbs.Starting opti weight: 323 lbs, Surgery weight 303 lbs.Surgery-May 21st, 2013 with Dr Hagen at HRRH Goal weight 165 lbs reached at 13 months. Current weight 156 lbs

Catw
on 5/2/13 2:41 am - Arnprior, Canada

Not sure why you wouldn't be able to drink crystal light either.  Most people are told to drink water with things like Crystal Light, or Mio, etc.

If you are looking for meal ideas, perhaps you could check out the Ontario Recipe Forum, it's post op recipes but that doesn't mean you can't start now.

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/discussion/

Once you get your date, you'll be told when to start your Optifast, and what you can have with it.  Some can have certain veggies while others only broth, SF jello, SF freezies, etc.  You will need to follow what your centre tells you though.

I know it gets confusing and it seems that you there isn't anything that you are allowed to eat.  But you'll find the balance before Opti, then after surgery, there are new rules.  These are made by the centre, and by your tummy.

Good luck on your journey.

Cathy

Most Active
Recent Topics