cafeine vs decafe

reenie33
on 6/15/13 5:58 am

Im on day 2 of the Optifast. And I was wondering if it will matter a whole lot if I mix my vanilla Opti with  brewed cafeinated coffee. The coffee was leftover from yesterday, so it was room temp. I mixed up one and it is good with ice. Of course no milk or sugar ... just coffee and ice. I think I read somewhere that you should have only decaf ... but why?  Yesterday was completely horrible for me I broke down and ate scrambled eggs and crackers and soup then 2 toast with peanut butter and milk. THEN I felt so scared and horrible about the whole thing that I made myself puke it all up, or as best as I could.  I know it sounds sick, and it is sick, I have struggled with bulmiea for many years though. I wont even cheat a lil now, thats why I was wondering about the cafeine

Diminishing Dawn
on 6/15/13 6:30 am - Windsor, Canada

Yep coffe is good.    You have caffeine your stomach Produces acid.   Your centre is probably wanting you to keep your stomach acid lower for surgery.  Not all programs require it though.  I

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

CathyinPtbo
on 6/15/13 6:39 am - Canada

take the time on opti to wean off the caffeine bit by bit so you don't have the withdrawal all at once and I loved the opti with coffee but switched to decaf over the 3 weeks

kristaeb
on 6/15/13 7:14 am

Hi Reenie, i am on day 3 of opti... Its hard but keep your eye on the prize.. My son had made pizza for lunch and i told him to take the left overs with him to work this afternoon..I limit my time in the kitchen as well.I made my husband dinner tonight only after i made my diner veggies with broth . Amazing how much food plays a HUGE part o our lives , especially for us with bad eating habits.You have made it this far so just do it.....I wish you all the best Reenie...broken heart Krista..

Refered Jan 15/13..Surgery June 27/13 , Dr Hagan.

JJ_
on 6/15/13 9:47 am

I am in Ottawa and they recommend that you cut caffeine products (cold or hot) from your intake.  I switched to decaf coffee and dropped diet coke from my list of acceptable beverages.

When I did Optifast, I would buy a Timmies large decaf, put it in the fridge and use that instead of water to mix my Optifast with.  It cut the taste of the Optifast.  After about day 5, I didn`t mind the Optifast mixed with plain water and ice.

Judy

Needanewbeginning
on 6/15/13 10:38 am - Barrie, Canada
RNY on 05/21/13

HRRH is the same, if you haven't cut down and out your caffeine by the time you start opti, its time now to do so. 

Starting weight: 334 lbs.Starting opti weight: 323 lbs, Surgery weight 303 lbs.Surgery-May 21st, 2013 with Dr Hagen at HRRH Goal weight 165 lbs reached at 13 months. Current weight 156 lbs

Mary A.
on 6/17/13 1:17 am

things sure have changed in the 4 years since i have had my surgery..there was never a focus on cutting down caffeine...I have always had 1-2 cups of coffee a day and never had any difficulty.  Although, during the first couple of weeks after surgery I drank more water and ate soup, coffee was not even on my radar.

Caffeine depletes vitamins in your body and at a time when your body needs every bit it can get to repair your innards.

http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/nutrition/vitamins-minerals/the-effect-of-caffeine-on-vitamin-absorption.html

if you can't eliminate the caffeine for now, try cutting back...and replacing that with Crystal LIght or some other SF type beverages..also I found that making SF popsicles in the summer are a great way to keep caffeine at bay.

At 4 years post-op..I still consume 2-3 cups of caffeine beverages a day...usually 2 cups of coffee and a iced coffee in the afternoon.

Do what works for you and will help you be successful in the long term.!

I

prior to surgery 323lbs....4 years post-op maintaining between 108- 114 lb loss. 

life is AMAZING when you continue on the right path~!.  Use your surgeons gift to the fullest~!

Mary
surgery done in Duluth, MN