Question about consuming water

reenie33
on 7/13/13 10:02 am

I have a qusetion about my pouch stretching with water. I am worried that I am drinking too much and too fast, and am going to ruin my RNY. I cant help it with this heat..... I barely peed for 3 days (say a 125 ml once a day) So I started to drink more and I seem to be able to drink about 250 ml in 20 mins. This causes me no discomfort. I am 11 days post op. I know the rules about drinking only 30 ml every 15 mins, but it isnt enough to satisfy my thirst.

Corinna H.
on 7/13/13 10:27 am - Guelph, Canada
RNY on 07/03/13

I am very curious about this - I feel like I can have more an 30ml but I do find if I take too much, I get a burp or hiccup. Sorry I couldn't help - just curious.

HW: 293.4 SW: 261.4 CW: 161 Referral - Dec 5/12.  Orientation: Feb 21/13. Upper GI and Ab u/s March 7/13. RN, NUT, SW Apr 8/13. 1st appt Dr. Klein Apr 11/13. fu NUT May 2/13. Dr. Glazer May 27/13. 2nd appt Dr. Klein June 3/13. Opti June 19/13. PATTS June 20/13 . RNY - July 3, 2013   

Diminishing Dawn
on 7/13/13 11:22 am - Windsor, Canada

I'd slow down and follow your guidelines.  If worried about it call your centre. 

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

Katiebear291
on 7/13/13 11:28 am, edited 7/13/13 11:33 am - Canada
RNY on 12/10/13

I am still pre op but i remember reading a week ago that someone tried to 'test' their pouch by drinking as much water as they could.  and were worried that they could fit too much in there

-

The reply was tha****er generally goes right through - there is nothing holding it there, If you think about the surgery there is not sphincter like your old stomach had that open/close to control when things leave your stomach - now there is just a small hole - water (as long as it wasn't gulped too fast)  can pass right through that tiny opening.

And as far as I have read the main reason you don't gulp is simply the pain it can cause - I am sure you will have a vet or two post that they can certainly drink more that the 30 mls too.  Just make sure you are not drinking before and after meals.

But again - I am just relaying what I read -

I am no expert heck I am still waiting for a surgery date! - But 11 days post op you are still healing so follow the guidelines until everything is healed - my worry for you with over stuffing is popping a stitch/staple - that can go very bad very fast which is why the guidelines are there.

RNY  - December 10 2013 Dr Lindsay Toronto's Saint Joseph Hospital Toronto

Needanewbeginning
on 7/13/13 11:30 pm - Barrie, Canada
RNY on 05/21/13

I was also very afraid of drinking too much too fast in the beginning. You really should stick to your centres guidelines. Stretching your pouch won't happen, its not physically possible, it goes in and then out, exactly like a funnel, so please don't worry or believe stretching can happen with liquids. I have taken a few gulps and it is uncomfortable, but really you need to slow it down. Drink more often to get your thirst under control, constantly sip.

good luck angry your doing great, sip sip sip

Starting weight: 334 lbs.Starting opti weight: 323 lbs, Surgery weight 303 lbs.Surgery-May 21st, 2013 with Dr Hagen at HRRH Goal weight 165 lbs reached at 13 months. Current weight 156 lbs

Hennagirliegirl
on 7/15/13 5:05 am, edited 7/15/13 5:05 am - Canada

Hi Rennie,

Perhaps you didnt't understand the importance of hydration and risks of dehydration during orientation. 11days post op is early, you have a LOT of healing to do. I think you need to give some serious thought to why you would go three days with minimal urine output in the first place, then drink the amount you did in 20 minutes?

The guidelines are clear, it's only you that will hurt as a result. Please,re-read, call your centre, look to your support systems to gain clarity on what you need to do to take care of yourself, remain healthy, and stay safe

Respectfully submitted,

Terri

reenie33
on 7/15/13 5:53 am

Maybe I should clarify... I am sipping constantly, It was on top of the sipping that I drank so much. I think it is due to the heat and me being so active that I got dehyhrated