Iron--Green Pooh---TMI

on-my-way-2-new-me
on 7/13/13 9:00 pm - Canada
RNY on 03/04/13

I just want to say I am doing great almost 100 lbs down, but a week and a hal*****he centre called and said I needed to start taking a iron pill as my levels were low, so now I have been taking 2 a day (ferrous sulfate) for the last week and a half, and oh my god....my pooh is green and it really smells and it seems to be getting worse, I get the runs and having at least 2-3 bowel movements but explosive, and sharp pain than you have to run to the bathroom.....Anyone experience this???  Will it level it self out and how long?  Also I was on Period or Menstruating when I gave blood and I get heavy periods could that be the reason why iron is low?  Should I call family doctor and ask him to do a blood test too?  Don't go back to clinic till September so throwing these questions out here as you's are more knowledgeable as well.....thanks in advance, and good luck all, have a great day...... 

Onward and
Downward

on 7/13/13 9:32 pm - Canada
RNY on 11/07/12

Never had green poop, but definitely when I take my iron pills, it becomes very dark.  But I don't get explosive bowel movements - instead, I think the iron tends to make it harder.  So it seems I get the opposite than you. 

I hope you can get it figured out with your doctor!

Referral to registry: Oct 21, 2011    Orientation (TWH): Feb 22, 2012     Surgery: Nov 7, 2012

Come to Toronto East End Coffee Nights! Click here for details.

Monica9811
on 7/13/13 10:46 pm - Peterborough, Canada

My Centre called me too and said I was a bit low in iron so I take one pill a day and yes my poop was green the next day!  Freaked me out until I read it online.  I find I am going more often too which I won't complain because that is better than the alternative!

Pawsitive_One
on 7/14/13 3:51 am
RNY on 07/02/13

I wonder if Iron Man has the same issues....    kiss

(okay just list that under bad joke of the day!)

RnY: July 2nd, 2013

smallisland
on 7/14/13 1:33 pm - Canada
VSG on 10/30/13

Iron pills make me go a little more often and it is very dark with a bit of green.  If you are having really difficult problems ask your clinic if there is another form of iron you can take.  I take Ferrous Gluconate twice daily and there is 35 mg of iron per 300 mg tablet.  Maybe a different type will help?

Referral Feb 2012, Orientation at Guelph Nov. 29/12, RN, SW and NUT Feb. 13/12, 2nd RN, SW and NUT April 26/13, Dr. Agarwal May 7/13, SW May 22/13. HW 334lbs, CW 269 lbs. Post-op nutrition course August 1/13, Dr. Jules Foute Nelong Sept 9/13, PATTS Oct 9/13, Opti Oct 16/13, Surgery Oct 30/13.

Most Active
Recent Topics