Not far now... and question!

Jiliana2
on 9/13/13 4:57 am - Ottawa, Canada
VSG on 02/03/14

I asked my GP about having surgery in February of this year and so far, things have been progressing right as they are supposed to. It was determined that I don't need a sleep study or a scope, or a colonoscopy, so we are crossing off all the other things on the "to do list" before meeting the surgeon. I met with my rheumatologist *****commended VSG for me because of my psoriatic arthritis. And while I'm somewhat happy about that, I know that it can mean less weight loss in the end, as compared to the RNY. If anyone cares to fill me in on your weight loss with VSG, I'd love to hear it!

Yesterday, I went to WMC here in Ottawa and met with the Dietician and Behaviourist. Both of them have cleared me with nothing further, other than to continue to reduce pop intake (cut in half so far!) and to slow down my eating, as I tend to eat quickly.

So next up is an echocardiogram at the Heart Institute because I do have a heart murmur and I haven't had an echo for about 20 years to see what's up. It's stable to the best of our knowledge. But just in case, they want to be sure. That appointment is on October 23... barring getting it moved up by some extraordinary quirk of fate!

So I guess the next step would be meeting with the surgeon? And I wonder how quickly that might occur?

QUESTION:

For those of you who have had surgery, I have a question. Our family is planning a holiday in mid-January in the sunny south for two weeks. I'm wondering about whether travelling after surgery is recommended or not? I know about the weight restrictions (not lifting more than 10 lbs post surgery), but do they recommend that you NOT travel for 4 weeks, or 6 weeks, or what? Can anyone fill me in on that particular aspect? For if it conflicts, I may have to wait until the end of January to have surgery, even though the process may allow me to get through by November/December. What are your thoughts on this?

Thanks to all for your input. It's greatly appreciated!

OTTAWA -- 2011 - Contemplated WLS Feb. 15, 2013 - GP Feb. 20 - lung functioning Feb. 22 - blood work Feb. 27 - Referral April 19 - orientation, bloodwork July 10 - nurse July 23 - rheumatologist (VSG) Sept. 12 - Behaviourist & Dietician Oct. 23 - Echocardiogram Nov. 6 - Pre-surgery Class Nov. 12 - Surgeon Jan 13, 2014 - Optifast (3 wks) Jan. 27 - PATTS Feb. 3, 2014 - Surgery (VSG)
HEIGHT: 5'5" HW
303 Pre-Opti 297 SW 271 GW 170 CW 200 (Feb. 8, 2018 - damn the regain!) VSG with Dr. Yelle

Michele T.
on 9/13/13 5:38 am - Canada

Congrats very exciting.  I had RNY but do know people who have lost alot of weight even there below goal weight on VSG so hopefully this is helpful to you.

With regards to travel I would recommend waiting 4 weeks after surgery.  You will feel better after 2 weeks but would not want to take a chance.

Just my thoughts.  Good luck!

Referral from GP October 2012  Starting Opti July 15th  Surgery with Dr. Jackson @ TWH on August 8th, 2013

sabrinastrength
on 9/13/13 5:44 am - Canada
Congrats! To answer your question... I flew out west, 2 weeks post op and was fine but I also haven't experienced any complications yet either.Just remember you have optifast to do prior to surgery as well and it might not be pleasant to do while on vacation as I experienced as well.

Best of luck!

Highest Weight Pre-Op: 346lbs;. Surgery Weight: 330lbs; Current Weight: 204lbs
Surgery: Aug 2, 2013

JJ_
on 9/13/13 9:21 pm

Congrats on getting through the behaviourist and nutritionist.  Once you are cleared by the internist, you have your post-education class and meet the surgeon - where you sign the surgical consent and buy the Optifast.  Then you will receive THE CALL - to book your surgery date, and date to start Optifast.  You will also find out when PATTS will be too.

The only issue about planning a vacation post-surgery is whether you experience any complications and that you will not be covered under medical insurance while travelling if a complication related to surgery pops up as it is a pre-existing condition.

Good luck!

Judy in Ottawa

Most Active
Recent Topics