getting re-referred

RYMEBE73
on 2/10/14 4:21 am, edited 2/10/14 4:22 am - Guelph, Canada
RNY on 06/30/15

Hi all...Looks like the non-surgical program wasn't quite the one for me...I did end up loosing 25lbs! but those darn things are finding a way to grow back on me and not in a very nice way!  I just found myself too hungry even with the calories we were to have, I didn't have time to really exercise (before anyone tells me that's a poor excuse - I am a single working mother to three children who happen to be active with sports, so I'm running around but not in a positive effect kind of way)  I am now at approximately 239lbs :(  I may not even qualify for the surgery but then that's based on the scale at work...I may actually weigh more...damn I really didn't want or think I'd be back here...not saying anything bad about this forum, it's a great place with tons of great people, was just hoping I'd be too busy having a great, active, healthy life.

Oh, can anyone tell me what the wait times for Guelph are now?

Moving on doesn't mean you forget about things.  It just means you have to accept what happened and continue LIVING  

gonna_B_thinner
on 2/10/14 4:48 am

I'm gong through Guelph my referral was last April, orientation in July, seen RN,RD,SW in Aug, pre op diet class Oct, seen the RN,RD,SW in Dec and was cleared and I'm waiting for my post op diet class then after that meet the doctor then the surgery.  They thought it would likely be late spring by the time I get surgery.  I did call to see when my next appointment would be and they said right now it's March the 10th but that could change.  I hope this helps a bit........so for me it will be about a year from start to finish.

(deactivated member)
on 2/10/14 5:00 am

That is too bad things did not work out, and unfortuantly you would probably start from scratch, so many a head of you, probably a good year to a year and a half for surgery... if you qualify. Please remember if you have this surgery you will need to exercise, no excuses. We all have busy lives, but you could take 1/2 hour ang go for a walk with the kids. Not trying to sound mean, just realistic. Remember the surgery is a tool, a lot is up to you. 

RYMEBE73
on 2/10/14 5:16 am - Guelph, Canada
RNY on 06/30/15

I realize I'd have to start all over...was just wondering if the times changed since last year at all.  I realize the surgery is just a tool, like the non-surgical program, it's about changing your lifestyle, my life this past year was very hectic, stressful, etc...this coming year things are getting better, and my kids have now decided that only one sport activity per season is plenty for them, so that will free up some time as well...that 1/2 hour extra if I get it is usually spent either cleaning the kitchen, doing laundry, or helping my kids with their homework, my kids are still quite young, so need me around more especially with what we've been through...I'm just trying to keep them healthy and safe.  I'm not looking for a quick fix, I am looking for something to help me get to a healthier person for my kids.  I believe the surgery will make it easier for me to not feel so hungry all the time and therefore not be eating the easily accessible food items that are around.

Moving on doesn't mean you forget about things.  It just means you have to accept what happened and continue LIVING  

sweetaypie
on 2/10/14 11:25 am

I was just reading our message, and you stated if you qualify, what do you mean by that, i was under the understanding that once your referral was gone to the registry, you were already being screened and that no one gets turned down, everyone qualifies..

RYMEBE73
on 2/11/14 12:00 am - Guelph, Canada
RNY on 06/30/15

Qualifying for the actual surgery is where I may fall short...getting referred you still have to meet some requirements - BMI over 40 or over 35 with co-morbidities (ie diabetes, sleep apnea)  The screening process is pretty intense, meeting with the RN is where you basically find out if you are a candidate for surgery or not.

sweetaypie
on 2/11/14 7:26 am

My bmi is 37.3 with sleep apnea, severe arthritis having major issues walking and sleeping,  urinary incontinence my weight is 240 lbs, so im really hoping i get accepted....

RYMEBE73
on 2/11/14 10:23 pm - Guelph, Canada
RNY on 06/30/15

you have co-morps with a BMI over 35, you shouldn't be turned down that's for sure, you do meet the requirements.  I'm going into the doctor's this Friday and am thinking I've developed arthritis in my knees, when I kneel on the floor, I get this severe burning/pain from knees down to my feet, sucks!  

sweetaypie
on 2/11/14 10:53 pm

I was told if you have arthritis whether its your knees, ankles hips or back, if its interferring with your every day life and walking its a co-morbid, hope everything goes well for you in your process, i am early in the process just got referred in january, so im not sure where i can call to find out anything, guess i just have to sit tight and wait :) 

truckingbride
on 2/11/14 10:43 pm - Harriston , Canada

Welcome back! I remember your handle when I frequented the board more previoulsy. I spoke at orientation last week and I thought Audrey said 9-12 months for surgery or am I crazy?