SKIN SURGERY ADVICE PLS!!!

Miss_CC84
on 2/18/14 11:30 am - Sault Ste Marie, Canada

Hey fellow WLS friends,

I am 13 months Post-OP...... Jan.17th 2013 I had RNY gastric bypass surgery in Toronto ON. My starting weight was 354 lbs ...... my current weight is 175 lbs .... I have lost 180 lbs.... my goal weight is 140 lbs. I am 5'7 and 30 yrs old and even though I am very happy with my progress, I really do not want to be stuck with this loose skin for another 50-60 years. I have worked my butt off to achieve these results. I have been given this tool and I am utilizing it to it's fullest potential. I have laid down a lot of groundwork, and I know that I will never ever go back to where I was before. However, I need another boost of motivation, and I know skin surgery is the answer. I am asking the veterans out there to inform and educate me about this matter. I need to know what cosmetic surgeons work with OHIP to have various types of skin surgeries covered. I personally need a Tummy Tuck.... as well as a Breast/Buttock/&/Arm Lift. 

Hopefully some of you can give you some names and numbers.

Thank you in advance :) 

Leanne1
on 2/18/14 11:57 am, edited 2/19/14 2:49 am - Newmarket, Canada

Google Dr Nandagopal. He is in Scarborough. 

He did my PS and he is awesome!!! :-) 

Also, Dr Musgrave is another great surgeon I have heard about. She is in Toronto. 

They will want you at your goal, so keep working at it as you wait for an appt. :-)

Good luck

BELOW GOAL        Happily maintaining 4.5 years out!!   Life is GREAT!!!  Had my plastic surgery! 

Mary A.
on 2/18/14 10:50 pm, edited 2/19/14 5:12 am

Dr. Sarah Wong is a fantastic plastic surgeon in Scarborough and if you have time read her experience/biography.

A tummy tuck is not covered by OHIP, a pannilectomy (belly button and below) may be if OHIP feels that you fit the criteria.  Breast reduction may be eligible if you are willing to go down a cup size...as far as bracioplasty (arm reduction) I don't believe it's covered at all.

I am not sure how it works in Southern Ontario, but I had to have a referral from my family doctor to see a plastic surgeon, the process because of availability of PS in the South may be much different.

The average for a tummy tuck from what I have read is $4,000 and upwards...as stated above the pannilectomy only covers the skin fold below your belly button and at your age..you probably want to be fine tuned and not have a large muffin top....I am posting this just so you are aware that not everything is covered by OHIP.

You may want to note that OHIP prefers that patients have maintained their weight loss for a year prior to requesting PS...so although you have done great...please don't give up if you plan to see a ps in the next few months, because you (may) need to keep the weight off for 6 months...Your surgery was 13 months ago, so OHIP may require you to wait until later in 2014 to be eligible/considered a viable candidate  (as described below in their appendix)

here is what the Ministry of Health and Long Term Care states on their website...it is this entity that OHIP is based under.  I don't have the portion that talks about breast reduction..but as with all surgeries your PS needs to prove that the procedures you are requesting and medically necessary...because of rashes, back problems from large breasts that sort of thing (but not limited to)

[PDF] Appendix D - Ontario

www.health.gov.on.ca/english/providers/program/ohip/.../append.pdf Appendix D April 1, 2012 ..... Panniculectomy is only insured in the following cir****tances and when ... approval of the General Manager of OHIP is required.

SUB-SURFACE PATHOLOGY

16. Excision of excess fatty tissue and/or skin

a. Panniculectomy is only insured in the following cir****tances and when prior authorization of payment is obtained from the MOHLTC:

i. where there is significant associated symptomatology related to the pannus;

ii. where the pannus extends to a level below the pubis symphysis; and

iii. where the patient’s weight has been stable for a minimum of 6 months when panniculectomy is requested in relation to weight loss.

b. Excision of excess fatty tissue and/or skin other than for panniculectomy is not an insured service.

[Commentary:

Examples of significant clinical symptomatology include significant pain, chronic skin breakdown, and recurrent cellulitis and/or ulcers.]

(hope the above is helpful)

all the best, if I can be of any further help please send me a PM

prior to surgery 323lbs....4 years post-op maintaining between 108- 114 lb loss. 

life is AMAZING when you continue on the right path~!.  Use your surgeons gift to the fullest~!

Mary
surgery done in Duluth, MN

Most Active
Recent Topics